RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Looking for this Style

Old 01-14-2013, 09:59 AM

Looking for this Style

Hi,

I´m trying to achieve this kind of look for my photos, but how or with which tools is this done. I´ve seen this kind of style in many advertising prints.
The examples are from Chris Crisman website.

http://www.crismanphoto.com/#/Collections/Landscapes/19

http://www.crismanphoto.com/blog/wp-...al-590x313.jpg

I´ve tried with HDR and Dodge & burn, but i´dont get similar results all the time. I hope somebody could help with some tips.

Greetings from Chile!

JC
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2013, 10:56 PM

Re: Looking for this Style

Most of his shots are multiple exposures or simply over-exposed. He then brings the contrast back in post or blends sky and foreground via different exposures. In the jpg example, he probably made two exposures then blended in post. Various gradient maps, blending modes, and contrast adjustments were made to each image with a final color map added to tie everything together. Just my guess - Anyone else wanna have a go?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2013, 06:48 AM

I suspect the Shadow/Highlight command might take you in the right direction. You'll need to work on a separate layer, because it cant be evoked as an adjustment layer. You may need to tweak the Midtone Contrast slider (under Show More Options) Be careful of banding in tonal transitions if you use it. It's best in 16bit.

Alastair

www.akmacretouch.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2013, 08:04 AM

Thank you both for your answers. I will try and see what it happens.

JC
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 AM

JC- His images look like the product of medium format cameras, which accounts for the amazing detail. Also, I think in some, but not all, of the shots he does use HDR, but in a minimal way. He is pushing mid tone contrast, but I'll bet most of what you're seeing as technique is from the big, beautiful, expensive sensor.
His blog invites people to contact him. Why not ask him?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 PM

Thanks twopoint0. It must be the sensor, i just have a 7D and for me it´s a great camera. I just saw the price for some medium format cameras, and with those prices i could easily build a house or studio down here XD. I ´ll keep trying with the tones and of course i will ask him. Let´s see what it happens. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 PM

If you do happen to ask him, please post what you find out here. It would be a good learning experience to us.
Yes, medium format is very $$$!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2013, 11:18 AM

He also uses very high apertures. It gives certain feel of the image, but if you're using crop frames it also degrades the image quite a bit. If your sensor is clean then ur still get usable images. Second thing is the lighting. Sometimes he uses hard, sometimes soft light source. I'd say that apart from using medium format and decent lighting equipment, most of retouching (part from dodge and burn) may be done in ACR.

Proof: Take some lighting equipment to the woods. Place ur subject near the line of some trees. Take ring flash head and set it to +1,3 ev. Set ur exposure to match the flash. Use high aperture (round 16-22). Take the shot. You should get something similar in fashion to this. Then boost the vibrance a lot and contrast a little. DB the skin a little and post it here.

Last edited by spinq; 01-25-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2013, 09:26 AM

Thanks spinq for the reply.
We went yesterday to work to the forest with my father, he needed some help. So i took the opportunity to take some test shots and put to practice what you guys were telling me to do. http://www.mackina.cl/test2.jpg

This time, i only could use just 2 speedlights, but this weekend i will try with some more gear and time for photography and post.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2013, 10:53 AM

It's a very good try. Could you try adding some yellow in the post? Color Balance layer should help. It will give the image a warmer feel.

I see you used bare speedlight. That's why you get so strong shadows on your father. The photographer we discussed used a ring flash and that's why he's model has his shadows reduced. Basicly I've never found a way to imitate this sort of light using any other reflector.

If I can give you any more tips, try setting the exposure a bit higher. I mean increase the ambient light. Sorry if I come to pushy.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching