RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Matching a target & destination portrait image

Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 PM

Re: Matching a target & destination portrait image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
Sorry I made a wee misstake there and I'm not very techie:

One way for me to select skin colours (oranges, yellows with reds) is to go to calculations, select the red and blue channels as source 1 and 2, invert them, set to subtract (offset 0 and scale 1) and create a new channel. This generally gives me the tones I'm looking for when trying to select fine variations in skin.
This channel can then be manipulated and tweaked to perfection: apply a levels to it to open up the shadows; I always grab the dodge and burn tool and plain paint brush and darken or lighten things as needed as well, right onto the channel before making a mask out it.

I end up with this weird looking but very useful masks with the predominantly yellows and reds of the skin selected by their luminosity.
I've never seen channels like this before. Mine are just filled or painted black &/or white. Amazing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 AM

Had a little go. I think my shadows arent really neutral much more blue , but is it a step in the general direction?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/41431451/RE...iff%20copy%202
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2013, 02:15 PM

photoshop doesn't seem to be able to open the file. I tried renaming it with .tif extension but still no luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2013, 02:42 PM

Just renamed it , see if that helps
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2013, 03:42 PM

can you post a new link to the re-named file. The old one no longer works
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2013, 04:11 PM

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/41431451/RETOUCHPRO/testcopy
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2013, 06:50 PM

Thanks. I have it now but since it didn't have any file extension (.psd or .tif) I tried to add one but without success. Then I added .jpg and it could open but obviously without any layers so I cant see what you may have done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:

One way for me to select skin colours (oranges, yellows with reds) is to go to calculations, select the red and blue channels as source 1 and 2, invert them, set to subtract (offset 0 and scale 1) and create a new channel. This generally gives me the tones I'm looking for when trying to select fine variations in skin.
This channel can then be manipulated and tweaked to perfection: apply a levels to it to open up the shadows; I always grab the dodge and burn tool and plain paint brush and darken or lighten things as needed as well, right onto the channel before making a mask out it.

I end up with this weird looking but very useful masks with the predominantly yellows and reds of the skin selected by their luminosity.
I really like that, as I can see how it would be synergetic with painted masks or paths, and it requires very little time to set up its starting point.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2013, 09:08 AM

Would it also be true that you could make a mask like this from the others colours too by selecting the other channels as source 1 & 2 in calculations. Or by inverting the mask you'd have a selection of the opposite colour ?

Quote:

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2013, 11:20 PM

You're correct Frank
By playing around with calculations, you can select other colour combinations. For instance by applying those setting below I managed to fairly easily mask out the vibrant yellows in her jacket.
I'm by no means an expert on calculations (it is a very powerful tool) or Photoshop, but through trial and error you'll find the combinations that work for you.
Cheers
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen-Shot3.24.jpg (95.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 3.22.24 PM.png (56.0 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching