RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Opinions on Dave Hill style effects

Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 PM

Re: Opinions on Dave Hill style effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAsh View Post

Not only do top many employees sign non-disclosure agreements (NDAs), they sign non-compete agreements. So they can't even legally go work for a competitor for a specified amount of time.

For rank-and-file photographers or retouching houses an NDA may be overkill, but for top-notch players who "everyone" (2600 or more in Dave Hill's case) is trying in vain to deconstruct, having an NDA makes sense, potentially a lot of sense. Whether or not it's actually done.
Non compete clauses are in most cases unenforceable in California. As for NDAs, I strongly believe you to be way off base when comparing complex engineering of unreleased products to advertising photography. There is nothing secret to protect in that sense. What could they protect? General retouching? Compositing? The concept of secret sauce here is what I'm trying to tell you doesn't exist. There may be some consistency in workflow and approach, but how would you protect that with an NDA? You have nothing that can be quantified as intellectual property beyond the images created. I genuinely wish to know what you think you could subject to non-disclosure here, and how it would help. I don't think it would go anywhere in terms of photography unless these hypothetical other people had both a demand in the market and some understanding of what they themselves wish to push. When you break it down into bright controlled highlights and large montaged elements, that isn't really IP.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Nope, don't believe he does it all himself. Look at some of that stuff. Well, maybe, if he perfected life without sleep.
Yes, he said it himself, his wife does not see him for months on end!
Some time it takes him 3 month to do just one project!
He does his own retouch & edits, why is it hard ti believe, OTOH, he has many assistants during the shoot.

Why do we have to make things complicated? army of retouchers! NDA! secrets! etc, etc... Unless, we are trying to find an excuse as to why we can't be like him

The guy is an artist, he has vision, he works his ass-off , pure and simple. What is hard to believe?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2013, 07:15 AM

Advertising campaigns do not allow for three month turnarounds.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 PM

I found the breakdowns link in an older thread. At a generic level, movie poster comps and matte painting involve the same things. I think the people on here just like his work and refuse to leave it at that. Otherwise they'd also question the logistics of the other things I just mentioned.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2013, 07:05 AM

That's fun to look at for a few minutes, but, doesn't tell me a thing, other than he used layers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
That's fun to look at for a few minutes, but, doesn't tell me a thing, other than he used layers.
It shows what parts were shot separately from one another. What else do you really need to know? Quite a bit of that is lighting. If he's doing the post work himself or handling it "in house" via an employee that he pays hourly, I assume he is careful to optimize lighting so as to control downstream time and costs. If you get the lighting right, a lot of that can be accomplished through grading elements and typical compositing techniques, which I'm sure you already know. If you really wanted to know how he does it, you would need to go through a similar process. Going through such a thing shows you all of the kinks you'll run into along the way, as it's impossible to predict everything. I'd still suggest some amount of planning and carefully planned layout is essential to good results. I like testing things myself. If it's an adjustment layer like a curve or something that will help add in a highlight or whatever, I'll paint it over a broad area to see the results. This way I can assure it's not really possible to push some things into weirdness or cause any detail issues. I sort of pre-test tools like that all the time. I would suggest you could do the same thing here. You don't have to perfectly paint the highlight. Just see what kinds of adjustments would help you create either the darkest or lightest portions without producing secondary unexpected resuls. You could test that against some of the values you see on his site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2013, 07:24 AM

"It shows what parts were shot separately from one another."

No it doesn't. It just shows which groups he decided to flatten into layers to make a cool little 3D video.

Back to what I was saying. I think I could figure out how he created these images. But, what i do know for sure, is that those images are the result of a TON of time and work. I just can't imagine him doing it all. If he did do it all himself, he should avoid kryptonite in all of it's forms.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2013, 02:44 AM

Quote:
"It shows what parts were shot separately from one another."

No it doesn't. It just shows which groups he decided to flatten into layers to make a cool little 3D video.
In my experience photographers don't mask things into separate layers when they were shot together. I understand the reasons to do such a thing at times, but I doubt that happened here. You know enough that if you wanted to get a better idea, you could go through much of that process without being lost on how to flesh out a look.

Quote:
Back to what I was saying. I think I could figure out how he created these images. But, what i do know for sure, is that those images are the result of a TON of time and work. I just can't imagine him doing it all. If he did do it all himself, he should avoid kryptonite in all of it's forms.
Well yeah I agree with that. Personally I don't think it matters if he does every last bit of post himself. He developed a look for his work that sells, and I can respect that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 AM

"In my experience photographers don't mask things into separate layers when they were shot together."

In my experience, photographers haven't known squat about retouching (no, I take that back - some know just enough to be obnoxious about it), and, even less today, because they rely so much on "Hey, no whoop, we'll just fix it in post".
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2013, 12:29 PM

He is shooting videos in his style:

http://vimeo.com/41383618

Regards, Filip

----------------------------------------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com & http://photoapps.info
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching