RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Training and course advice for newbie

Old 02-11-2013, 07:28 PM

Training and course advice for newbie

Hi there, I am new to this website and would love some advice from you guys about how I can train to be a pro retoucher.

For a bit of background; I am 21 years old and have been using Photoshop for personal use since my early teens as I was always very into art and photography during school. After school I did a 1 year course in art and studied drawing, painting, sculpture and photography in depth. I then began an art degree, specializing in what they referred to as 4D art, which was photography and video art based. Unfortunately I had to leave after 1 year for financial reasons but have since undertaken several short makeup artistry courses which I feel could be very useful in my efforts to become a pro retoucher one day.

Now that I'm ready to move forward with this I want to go about it the right way. What do you guys suggest I do next? Should I do a course or are you mostly self-taught from reading books and a lot of practising etc? Is there an industry standard of training that would be looked for by clients, or is it all based on a persons portfolio? I'm pretty confident with the aesthetic side of the work as I have studied art, but I know I need to learn and understand the technical side very well too.

Ps. I live in Ireland but would be willing to travel to the UK to undertake training, so please let me know if you are aware of any courses there. So far from google searches I have only found a couple of pretty basic ones in my area and I'm really looking for something in depth.

Thanks,

Claire
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2013, 02:03 AM

Re: Training and course advice for newbie

If your finances have since improved you could consider hopping back into full time education, maybe switching to a course that aligns better with your aspirations. The 'easiest' route would be to get a job as a junior PS operator in the studio of an ad agency or graphics outfit. That way you could learn and earn. Without some qualification though, you'll need a good portfolio of samples to demonstrate your employability. There are loads of daily and weekly courses available in London (Dublin?) and you could always find a PS freelancer to give you individual lessons in specific areas. Build a retouching portfolio that includes before and after image enhancement, montage, colour changes etc and 'if in doubt leave it out'. Unless you're definitely going to work in the model/mag/glam sector you should keep the samples general in subject matter - B2B has more opportunities for work than glam and it probably pays better. Good luck with your efforts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2013, 04:58 AM

Thank you for your reply! Full-time education is probably still out of the question for me financiallly, which is a pain. But your advice about the portfolio is very helpful. I have started building up some before and after beauty shots but haven't got any of the more general stuff, so I will begin work on that today! thank you
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2013, 12:57 PM

Consider where you will be working in the future Claire. If it isn't a large-ish city you'll be pushed to get main stream model/mag work that pays well. Take a look at some of the portfolios on sites such as Behance and you'll see what clients are paying money for! Also read the Irish publicity mags and see what accounts are held by the agencies - that'll give you a clue to the local market.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching