Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Are still images dead?

Old 02-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Are still images dead?

I was wondering whether I could get your opinion on whether still images are going to become a thing of the past.

Screens are everywhere. On the tube, at the bus stop in our pockets. Magazines are becoming "digitized" - we are surrounded by technology.

Why would you want to look at a photo of a model, when you could just see here walking down the catwalk?

Why would you want to look at a product shot, when you could see a perfect, rotating 3D visualization?

Why would you take a photo, when you could record 10 seconds of footage on a super HD DSLR and then choose that perfect still?

Maybe this is a silly question and I am a long way off from having an expert opinion on the subject, but I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanking you in advance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Re: Are still images dead?

I remember when the home video camera was introduced 30 years ago. That thing really killed-off taking photos of your family and friends. Oh, wait.

The still image will never be replaced. Not in fashion, not anywhere. The two are functionally distinct, and although sharing some visual heritage are employed for different purposes.

When actually deciding critically what to purchase (as opposed to merely being wowed with a theme at fashion week) I want to see videos of models walking down a catwalk like I want to see videos of spinning cabbages at the supermarket.

Not at all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2013, 03:45 PM

Nope. I was a little worried about the IPad, but, when I finally saw a magazine on it, I was relieved. Paper, on the other hand, may be dead, soon. Hey, I'm kinda old, but even Benny is considering buying an IPad just to get the NYT in the morning on time every day, not waiting for that damn paper guy. Cheaper, too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 AM

You've asked a few questions there 'caf! You have the issues of content generation and content delivery. At the moment it's cheaper to produce a professional photograph than either a video or 3d illustration. Moreover, a photograph can be displayed in any environment on any device. 3d will make inroads into product photography as the results are 'photographic', but it's time consuming and expensive at the moment: this will change as the software becomes cheaper, easier to use and skilled operators are plentiful. Good photos capture a moment in time whereas moving images capture no particular moment: grabbing a great frame is much harder than you think and I can't see blue chip companies relying on a chance video grab to use as core campaign material!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2013, 03:11 PM

Still images are not dead. New visual technology tends to augment older technology, not replace it:
  • CDs didn't kill radio.
  • Downloads didn't kill album sales (completely...).
  • DVDs didn't kill movie theater attendance.
  • Photography didn't kill painting or graphic arts.
  • 3D didn't kill 2D
  • And video won't kill still photography.
Things will change, balance may shift, but the still image will survive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2013, 10:52 AM

Still image will always survive. How you capture the image is a different story...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching