Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Quick Critique Needed!

Old 02-15-2013, 05:41 AM
Red face Quick Critique Needed!

Hi everyone this is srk3461,

Retouching done using multiple diff techniques.

Last edited by srk3461; 01-09-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2013, 11:23 PM
Re: Quick Critique Needed!

The color is kind of nice, and it does "pop" to a degree. I like the sense of palette. The problems are things like whites of the eyes should not be one color from top to bottom. It looks weird and removes any sense of depth in the eyes. The makeup now just looks painted. I really dislike the cheeks. They're both reduced to blob highlights, as is part of the nose. It's even weirder because these things are juxtaposed with hard lines and creases along the bridge of the nose and corner of the mouth. Essentially I think those parts are a bit overdone as they ignore a lot of anatomical forms then feed right into hard lines. I'm also not a fan of bright corners like the upper left into deeply shadowed hair, but I'm not sure of a perfect solution there. You could have neglected to darken the top of the hair so much. I liked it with some detail.

I don't have a high res to mess with so I'm sort of guessing what I'd do here. I like the skintone and lip color in the after version. I dislike all of the details. She has some really beautiful features that are reduced to the point of being doll like, yet it's not even consistent across details. The neck has much more structure left than the face, so you're constantly confronted by what is out of context. Hopefully that makes sense. I don't like to be overly negative without at least explaining the opinion in full detail. I really do like the color palette though as a somewhat stylized palette. I might have maintained a little more hue in the eyes. They look like they have more of a green tint in the original, but I'm not sure if that's just due to context as the after version has a lot more magenta overall.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2013, 12:16 AM
Re: Quick Critique Needed!

Thanks a lott bro... wonderful Critique, I agree almost everything you said dude.
I'll def try to get better at retouching! More magenta b'cos i love redheads and red in pics !
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching