Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

My new highspeed retouch video!

Old 02-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Re: My new highspeed retouch video!

Ok, I looked at your channel and I see you have a tutorial up but its part 1 and it's from a year ago. Where's part two??? Also you already have half a dozen layers up when the video begins. It would be really helpful if you explained everything as you go.

On a side note, I've been holding my breath for 5 years waiting for the release of HL3. Tarantino was supposed to make a HL movie too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2013, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by crazyfly1 View Post
I miss House, they should make a House movie.
I like the video but I'm dizzy now. I would like to know why you use 4 dodge and burn layers along with a lighten and darken layer.
I know I could learn from you but not from this video. Youtube doesn't offer a way to slow things down. Is there a chance you could do a few tutorial videos just like this only real time with a voice over explaining what you are doing? Fingers crossed. Thank you.
Hell yeah, House was awsome!

I use 4 dodge and burn layers, 2 normal D&B layers and 2 D&B layers but with a stronger effect. Why i do this?

Because some places are harder to dodge or burn because they are darker or lighter than my current brush opacity could clear with less then 3 strokes.
So this is for convenience. Because its easier for me to move a layer up or layer down than fiddle with the opacity of my brush.
This doesn't mean i don't use pressure sensitive pen tablet. I do, but because my brush is often set on a really low opacity i have to stroke darker or lighter places often, or set my opacity higher.
But what if 100% isn't enough? Then my second and stronger layer comes in effect. But often i don't even go to 100% of brush opacity, to little control. So i simply go one layer up or down and brush along but with a stronger effect, with the same control.
Hope that covers it.

Now, this isn't a video to learn from. That's not what it was meant for.
This was meant to show what i do, for the employers and company's that hire me and everyone else that is interested. And to see if people are actually interested in this sort of thing or even more.

I'm thinking about making tutorials. But that depends on how well the other video's do.

As for my other video's on my youtube channel, they didn't do so well. So my time went to other things.

(sry for the long wall of text)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2013, 03:06 PM

Great answer! Thank you for explaining in detail. I've tried several D&B techniques and I always fail miserably. I'll try yours. I've looked and I just don't find any detailed, start to finish tutorials on portrait retouching. It's easy enough to find a brief video on a blur technique to get rid of blemishes or a D&B video that focuses on shadows and highlights but nothing like what you are doing in detail. I know it takes a lot of time and effort to do tutorial videos. I for one would appreciate your effort and I'll keep an eye out for them.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching