Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Adjusting WB to specific Col Temp?

Old 02-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Adjusting WB to specific Col Temp?

Without going back to the RAW file and starting again, can you adjust the color temperature to a specific white balance / degrees K ?

I know I can use a number of tools to cool/warm the image (Col Balance, HSL, Curves, Levels)but I cant find a way to read the K col temp

Last edited by frankg; 02-17-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2013, 09:37 AM
Re: Adjusting WB to specific Col Temp?

The only tool that lets you adjust white balance in terms of temperature is ACR. However, it's a wierd duck and simply does not work they way your are asking it to.

Examle: Process a raw file twice with different color temps, say a 500 degree difference, and save both as tifs or jpegs. Bring one of them back into ACR and try to adjust the temp to match the other. First problem you find is the white balance temp scale in ACR is limited to a -100 to +100 range. Can't add or subtract 500 degrees. Second problem you find is the ACR WB adjustment on tif/jpeg has no relation to the original raw adjustment. A small adjustment of only 1 or 2 degrees is "close" to the 500 degree difference in the originals, but no where near identical.

Here's what I'd do to best achieve your goal.

1. Go back to an original raw and make two temp versions. One with the orignal white balance, one with the new, desired white balance.

2. Bring both of these into Photoshop. Plot some color sampler points on key areas, same points on both images.

3. On the original version, build a custom Curves adjustment layer to force its RGB values to match the values in the new (desired) version.

4. Save that Curves adjustment as a preset.

5. Load other processed images and apply the Curves preset.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 AM

On a rendered image (TIFF, JPEG etc), the WB is baked in and often very difficult or impossible to adjust as you'd desire. If you have the raw, you really want to go back to that data which isn't rendered, adjust WB and move on. I'm not saying it's always impossible to do with rendered data but it's not the right place or time and it can be an exercise in frustration.

Set your camera for raw+JPEG, shoot indoors under Tungsten with the WB on the camera set for Daylight. Work with both (raw converter and Photoshop). Good luck making the JPEG look very good, especially if the exposure isn't spot on. The raw is easy as pie to adjust.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2013, 03:15 PM

Thank you - resolved
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching