RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Blured&Smoky Effect. HOW? HELP

Old 02-26-2013, 04:43 AM

Blured&Smoky Effect. HOW? HELP

Dear Friends,
I'm reposting with more specific information about the picture that I want to know how it was made.
If you can help me to know the techniques involved in this pictures, I will really appreciate it.
Here the link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/svbpag91aw...2003.31.15.png
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 AM

Re: Blured&Smoky Effect. HOW? HELP

While it's certainly possible that all of the blurring was done in post, it's equally likely that the photographer used Vaseline applied to a clear lens filter to give a dream-like diffused blur. Something like this:
http://lifehacker.com/5624416/use-a-...e+style-photos

As far as the color goes, I think that if you add cyan and magenta into the blacks while keeping the highlights and quarter tones on the warm side, you could achieve a similar result.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2013, 11:22 PM

I don't think it's vaso. Looks to me like it may be a second or even multiple overexposed and out of focus images over the top of the sharp image. Plus desaturation and colorization as eraanexact has said.

If you're interested in testing this sort of stuff, I'd recommend getting a P series Cokin filter holder - there's one (forget what it's called now) that you can sandwich various kinds of material in between. Years ago I used to use different coloured pieces of pantyhose, cellophane and other diaphanous materials sandwiched in such a filter holder. Need to use a wide aperture so they're completely out of focus and lots of different fx can be achieved this way.

Whatever you do, don't get vaseline on your camera or lens - it gets into places you really don't want it and you can never fully get it off again. A cheap filter is fine but get it into your expensive 85mm 1.2 lens and you'll really regret it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2013, 06:32 AM

Excellent! Thanks for the asnwers.
Eraanexact can you explain a little bit in deep, how to add properly more cyan and magente into the blacks and keep the highlights on the warm side?
I will appreciatte your help
E

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraanexact View Post
While it's certainly possible that all of the blurring was done in post, it's equally likely that the photographer used Vaseline applied to a clear lens filter to give a dream-like diffused blur. Something like this:
http://lifehacker.com/5624416/use-a-...e+style-photos

As far as the color goes, I think that if you add cyan and magenta into the blacks while keeping the highlights and quarter tones on the warm side, you could achieve a similar result.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduforte View Post
Excellent! Thanks for the asnwers.
Eraanexact can you explain a little bit in deep, how to add properly more cyan and magente into the blacks and keep the highlights on the warm side?
I will appreciatte your help
E
There's different ways to achieve this, but for me, I like curves. I would add a new curves adjustment layer, and do something like the attached screenshots.

In the red channel, pull down cyan in your 3/4 tones and keep the red in the 1/4 tones:
Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 11.04.43 PM.png

In the green channel, pull down magenta in your 3/4 tones and keep the green in the 1/4 tones:
Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 11.04.52 PM.png

In the blue channel, pull up blue in your 3/4 tones and keep the yellow in the 1/4 tones:
Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 11.05.00 PM.png

You will need to adjust this depending on the image you're applying this color treatment to, so just play around with it and see what you like.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2013, 09:06 AM

Great, I will make a try with your set, and I'll let you know what happened. It look like it should work.
E
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching