RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Clarity simulation in Photoshop?

Old 03-02-2013, 08:37 PM

Clarity simulation in Photoshop?

Hi, I like to used Clarity in Adobe Camera Raw and I wonder have any filter in photoshop I can used to make same effect like it.
I know Clarity is mindtone contrast but when I used Highpass or USM, I never get the same effect like it.
Hope you can help and give me some advice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2013, 10:23 PM

Re: Clarity simulation in Photoshop?

Might be easiest to just use ACR Clarity:

http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/EditACR_SM.mp4
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2013, 11:38 PM

Yes, thks you, i had used to used this technique. But i still wanna know how to get same effect just in photoshop with filter command?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2013, 06:21 AM

Sounds perverse. If you like the Clarity effect and it is available to you, why don't you just use it?

Last edited by AKMac; 03-03-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtechniques View Post
Yes, thks you, i had used to used this technique. But i still wanna know how to get same effect just in photoshop with filter command?

Google: HIRALOAM
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2013, 08:13 AM

Yes. Thks you so much Flashtones, AKMac. I just try understand what Clarity do because I'm self-learning, some technique I learn from you, but I don't understand how it really do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2013, 09:04 AM

My previous response was unhelpful. I was trying to save you time.

I don't think you are going to get the clarity effect in photoshop. Although the method Flashtones refers to is in the same broad category of effects, there isn't any way of getting close to the Clarity look using HRLA sharpening. You could use a third party Plugin like Topaz detail, if you want to have more control over the look. If you want to understand more about how the Clarity type of effect is achieved, there is some interesting basic information in the Topaz Detail Manual, under "How Detail Works". It is available online.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2013, 11:51 AM

Clarity is based on a technique from Mac Holbert (formally of Nash Editions) and can be done in a similar fashion within Photoshop. It's really just a Midtone contrast tweak.

Midtone Contrast:

1. Highlight your top layer in your Layers Palette then:

2a. In CS I: Select Layer->New->Layer to create a new, blank layer at the top of your Layer Stack. Then, holding down your Opt Key (Mac) / Alt Key (PC), select Merge Visible from the fly-down menu on the right side of your Layers Palette. Be sure to keep the Opt/Alt depressed until you see the blank layer update. You should now have an additional layer at the top of your layer stack. It represents how the image would appear if you had flattened your layers. Rename this layer “Midtone Contrast”
-OR-
2b. In CS II+: Holding down your Opt Key (Mac) / Alt Key (PC), select Merge Visible from the fly-down menu on the right side of your Layers Palette. Be sure to keep the Opt / Alt depressed until you see the blank layer update. You should now have an additional layer at the top of your layer stack. It represents how the image would appear if you had flattened your layers. Rename this layer “Midtone Contrast”

3. Next double-click on the Midtone Contrast layer icon to bring up the Layer Style Palette. Change the Blend Mode to Overlay and lower the Blend Mode Opacity to 20%. Now move the left “This Layer” slider to 70. Now Split away the left side of that slider by holding down the Opt / Alt key and move it to 50. Repeat the same process on the right “This Layer” slider, moving the sliders to 185 and 205 respectively. Then select “OK”.

4. Now select Filter->Other->High Pass. In the High Pass Palette set the radius to 50 and select “OK”. Now select Image->Adjustments->Desaturate. The Midtone Contrast layer is now complete. At 20% opacity it should be very subtle, but noticable. The effect can be decreased or increased by raising or lowering the Midtone Contrast Layer opacity. I’ve found that the proper setting can usually be found between 20% and 40% opacity. Above 40% one risks creating “halo” artifacts
that are visually distracting.

Don't expect an exact replica of Clarity, the processing color space, gamma and operations in ACR are quite different than Photoshop's but you'll get a very similar result.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2013, 02:50 PM

adtechniques I recommend trying the "Midtone Contrast" slider in Shadows\Highlights under image, adjustments. Check the show more options box and zero the settings under shadows and under highlights and color correction.

The results can be really similar depending on the image. One thing to keep in mind is that the effects are geared differently, so to speak and the clarity slider in ACR set to 80 will need a setting of about 30 in Shadows\Highlights.

Last edited by crazyfly1; 03-03-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2013, 08:23 PM

Thks all your advice, I'll spend time to play with it
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching