RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Upscaling advice please

Old 03-05-2013, 11:32 AM

Upscaling advice please

I have a file that originated on the 5D (original version) which was only 12MP. The dimensions are 4368 px x 2912 px (or 9.7 x 14.5 inches at 300dpi).

I have been asked for a very large 30 x 40 inch print which is 12000px x 8000px.

My first inclination is that it is not possible with the 'up-rezzing' interpolation in Photoshop (Bicubic Smoother) or even with a third party plug-in like Genuine Fractals to go that big and still maintain high quality.

Of course the quality of the original file, print viewing distance, & subjective opinions about what 'high quality' is to different people all come into play, and I can't quantify it with numbers except to say it has to satisfy critical pros.

Someone at a lab looked at my layered file (with D&B, healing/spotting/cloning, levels etc.) and asked for the original RAW file which he then graciously upscaled and sent back to me. I am retouching it now and have not yet seen a print but it seems promising.

How was the upscaling done ?
It appears to be a "trade secret" as he won't divulge the method used.
I don't know of a way other than PS (bicubic smoother) or a plug-in like GF Is there something the pros do that I can learn about for future reference?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2013, 12:04 PM

Re: Upscaling advice please

IF he asked for the raw, sounds like he sized it up using that process which I'd agree, depending on the product is the way to go.

Why not act naive but ask in passing, "BTW, what product do you use to process raws?" then you'll probably have your answer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2013, 12:08 PM

I asked but he does not want to share the way he did it.

btw I use ACR as my RAW converter
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2013, 12:44 PM

Take the original raw, upscale it yourself using each of the 6 or so different methods available to you, compare your results to his to see which one he used. Download free trial versions of the commercial products if necessary.

It's very unlikely he used some custom method or program available only to him.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcrown View Post
... the 6 or so....
I cant think of 6 or so...? ACR, PS, ...

I am asking pro retouchers and photographers what their most successful method is to upscale

And i cant think of why he would have asked for the RAW file since there isn't upscaling available in ACR - ok not true, when you save it you can increase the MB a little but not as much as this
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg View Post
And i cant think of why he would have asked for the RAW file since there isn't upscaling available in ACR - ok not true, when you save it you can increase the MB a little but not as much as this
You can upsize in ACR and more so in Lightroom (it isn't limited to the few presets).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg View Post
I have a file that originated on the 5D (original version) which was only 12MP. The dimensions are 4368 px x 2912 px (or 9.7 x 14.5 inches at 300dpi).

I have been asked for a very large 30 x 40 inch print which is 12000px x 8000px.
This is only about a 277% upscale. Download the trial of BenVista's PhotoZoom Pro 5 and see what it can do with the S-Spline technology. It's not cheap, but you actually have multiple options to choose from, more than in any other program I have seen.

http://www.benvista.com/photozoompro
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2013, 02:41 PM

I had this OP over at Luminous Landscape too and Jeff made a suggestion on one way to upsample.
Dare I say Bingo.
I tried it and it's pretty darn close to my 'target' image.
Upscale all the way with the crop tool (I think Andrew also indicated this possibility) and then USM on the tif 275, 1, 0.
After going round and round with this thing trying every which way,
I have been at this thing like a bulldog and comparing all my results to the 'unknown upsample' version.
Finally a result I'm happy with.

Now there may be tweaks in ACR that I could/should do (I don't know enough about how to set the noise and sharpening settings there).
Also I'm not saying that there is no further sharpening required for output (variable depending on media etc).

Any ideas on fine-tuning the ACR settings or capture sharpening on the tif please share.

Last edited by frankg; 03-08-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching