RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Feedback for Headshot

Old 03-05-2013, 04:51 PM

Feedback for Headshot

Would need some professional feedback for the following headshot.
Thanks!

Last edited by matthiassebas; 03-15-2013 at 04:41 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2013, 11:54 PM

Re: Feedback for Headshot

I looked at all the images on your site and would say that, overall, it is very good work. You apparently have a good ability to put your models at ease and bring out natural expressions. Your choice of framing, perspective, and focus (depth of field) is excellent.

Anyone could find things to critique, but I expect most critiques would fall in the area of personal preference. Some would tell you to do more skin retouching (smoothing and blemish removal), some would say less. I think you already have established a good balance of that controversial subject. Your subjects don't look flawless, but they look good.

There are only a few areas I would critique on your sample. First is the skin color. It is very "pink", much more so than is commonly accepted. If you use a color sampler on the skin and look at the CMYK values, the Yellows are all 5% to 12% less than Magentas. That's opposite of common standards. Yellow should be equal to or slightly greater than Magenta.

Second, consider the face exposure. It is very bright, too bright in my opinion. Especially on a model with dark hair, dark clothing, against a dark background. Sampling points on the face and looking at the HSB values, I see B (Brightness) values between 90% and 99%. That's close to blown out.

Also consider the saturation. It is fairly low. The saturation values run between 11% and 18%. Values between 20% and 30% are more common.

Now, there is nothing wrong with bright, magenta, low saturation faces. That may be a "style" you are after, and may help you stand out against the competition. There are a lot of styles in portrait and fashion photography, and many of them are quite a distance from commonly accepted standards. But I would suggest that the farther you get from those common standards, the smaller your market is.

Lastly, I would draw attention the the side lighting in this sample. You did a good job of highlighting the right edge of the face, but the light caught the nose and the lower eyelid, creating some hot spots that are not very attractive. This was the only image on your site that used side lighting. I think the image would have been better without it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 01:26 PM

Thanks redcrown! This is very helpful. I will keep your points in mind.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2013, 11:21 AM

Hi redcrown,

That was a very detailed and thoughtful explanation. Quick question for you : i know how to measure CMYK values, but how do you measure HSB and saturation values please ?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2013, 12:06 PM

You measure HSB (Hue, Saturation, Brightness) the same way you measure CMYK. In the Info Pallet, click on the little eyedropper icon next to a set of values. A window will pop-up showing all the options. HSB is located right above CMYK.

When editing portraits, I keep the two "dynamic" Info Pallet readouts set to CMYK and HSB, so I can wave the cursor over the image and read both at the same time. If you drop a "static" color sample point on an image you can change its Info Pallet readout the same way, or you can right-click on the point itself in the image and get the same options.

It's a good exercise to practice reading CMYK and HSB values on portraits. Whenever you see a portrait image you really like, download it into Photoshop and read the CMYK/HSB values for various points on the skin. They are both rough guides, but after some practice you get a good memory sense of what range of values you find attractive.

A side note on CMYK... the numeric values you see depend on the CMYK Working Space you have set under Edit/Color Settings. The Photoshop default is "U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2". Most people have no reason to ever change that, so it's fairly safe to assume that any discussion you read about CMYK values is based on that default.

And there are different "models" for measuring HSB. Photoshop only offers one model, no options. But if you measure HSB (sometimes called HSL) in a different program, you might get different numbers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2013, 12:43 PM

Note - In the UK, Fogra 39 is the usual CMYK setting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2013, 06:15 PM

Thanks Redcrown for the "Ahaa.." moment. I am loving the info pallete now its amazing how photoshop packs so much in so little.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching