RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Changing gamut creates horrible reds

Old 04-29-2013, 07:08 AM

Changing gamut creates horrible reds

When exporting photos from LR after editing in PS reds can go wild. This can happen directly when exporting into sRGB or later when exporting into AdobeRGB when uploading to my website. Is there a science to managing these colour changes even during retouching? Thanks for any help!

See attachement and description in a post below.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2013-05-01 at 12.01.33.png (44.0 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by matthiassebas; 05-01-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2013, 05:52 AM

Re: Changing gamut creates horrible reds

Please help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 AM
Patron

It sounds like you are not implementing Color Management properly.
Take a screenshot of your Color Settings in PS Edit>Color Settings and post it here.
As you hand off a file from LR or ACR tp PS, you need to respect or convert the color profile is the two applications are working in different color spaces. Other wise the colors will appear way over saturated or way under saturated. Similarly when you save an image from PS to be displayed on the Web, you need to make the appropriate conversion because most web browsers do not have color management and are expecting a file that is equivalent to sRGB.
Cheers, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Color Settings Screen Shot.jpg (136.0 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2013, 08:41 AM

Thanks Murray I so glad you replied to my post!
I am organising my photos in LR and I am editing them in PS. Only when I am exporting the files from LR into sRGB jpgs colours can go wild or when I am exporting them into AdobeRGB jpegs can go wild after being uploaded to the web. Please find screenshots of all colour related settings in LR and PS (that I am aware of) below.

Many thanks!

Cheers Matthias
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2013-04-30 at 14.26.21.png (65.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: png Screen shot 2013-04-30 at 14.27.15.png (54.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: png Screen shot 2013-04-30 at 14.28.24.png (73.0 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2013, 09:37 AM

Doesn’t sound right, the differences should be pretty tiny. You have LR, soft proof using sRGB, what do you see there?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2013, 10:34 AM

In LR turning on and off soft proofing doesnt have a visible effect. On another note in LR while soft proofing I have two options how the conversion to sRGB should be handled that is perceptual and relative conversion. Nevertheless during the export into jpeg I can only select the target colour space (sRGB).

Last edited by matthiassebas; 04-30-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Patron

Something does sound odd, the colour red for instance, I have seen this when assigning an sRGB image to Prophoto by mistake, but not sure that if you were bringing in a Prophoto image to an sRGB working space which way the colour would go.

When you have your image in PS what happens when you go to Edit/Assign Profile – what does the profile say for Working RGB ? and what happens if not already sRGB you click on the Profile and change to sRGB?

Are you sure that you should be converting to Adobe RGB for your web work as I would have expected sRGB?

I would suggest you try the following:
  • In PS colour settings change the working space from sRGB to Prophoto. This then effectively matches the working space of LR and is the space you have set for LR external editing.
  • IMO you should also turn on the profile mismatches in this dialogue box as this will warn you when opening or importing an image that there is a mismatch and give you the opportunity to decide what to do with the image so that it displays correctly.
  • Your proof settings in PS should normally be those of the paper you intend to print on not your monitor profile. If you want to simulate how a print will look when sent from PS then you would select the correct paper profile e.g. using an HP printer and glossy paper the profile may be named something like HPAdvancedGlossy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthiassebas View Post
In LR turning on and off soft proofing doesnt have a visible effect. On another note in LR while soft proofing I have two options how the conversion to sRGB should be handled that is perceptual and relative conversion. Nevertheless during the export into jpeg I can only select the target colour space (sRGB).
If you don't see it there, something's off with either how you're exporting or how the new data is interpreted. Again, check all the settings.

In soft proof, using simple RGB working space profiles like sRGB, you have two options for rendering intent but the profile only has one table. So it doesn't matter, you'll end up with the same results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2013, 05:28 PM

I am so sorry...it seems i am a bit slow

LR: when exporting via FILE>EXPORT>FILE SETTINGS I can only select the target colour space e.g. sRGB but I dont see any options that influence how the conversion is performed. Also in LR if i use soft proofing with a target output colour space set to sRGB and I dont see any effect on the screen.

Nevertheless when in

PS: I have selected the settings as in the screenshots attached and if I then turn on and off VIEW>PROOF COLOURS with the settings as in the screenshots then I have a massive effect that I dont understand.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2013-04-30 at 23.16.56.png (60.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: png Screen shot 2013-04-30 at 23.17.10.png (60.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: png Screen shot 2013-04-30 at 23.18.10.png (13.9 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2013, 03:58 AM

horrible reds after export

Attached is an example showcasing the horrible reds after export. This is a picture that was before edited in PS.

Right: LR displays photo using Soft-Proofing::ON with Profile::sRGB Intent::Perceptual.

Second from Right: Preview displays same photo stored on the HD after export with Settings ColourSpace::sRGB, ImageFormat::JPEG, Quality::100

Third from Right: Safari displays same photo stored on the HD as above.

Left: Safari displays same photo after upload into the web.

Obviously in this example there is a massive colour change from the picture displayed on the right to the pictures displayed on the left. In this example the colour change happens while viewing the same file via different software here Safari compared to Preview even if the file was exported into sRGB.

I thought when exporting in sRGB the browser should display the photo as LR does it in Soft-Proofing with Profile::sRGB or when Preview displays the same file. Here this is obviously not the case.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2013-05-01 at 09.56.32.png (50.3 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching