RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Colorization / Color Separation / Pure Color

Old 05-20-2013, 12:07 PM

Re: Colorization / Color Separation / Pure Color

The way that I do gradient maps, and it's far easier is to:

Turn on a hue/sat layer with -100 saturation on top of all layers to see a B+W version.

make a gradient map that's masked out to only fit the area you want a affected.

Fiddle with slider and settings in gradient map until you see no difference in luminosity.

Then you go to hue and saturation aspect of it.

Also you can make a default gradient map of Black to white, fiddle with the settings to get the luminosity right, then make a curve at color mode with the same mask above it, and set the colors on a curve.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2013, 09:20 PM

thks for your help, skoobey
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2013, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
Seriously? To which actions do you refer?

Here's a whole bunch of high end retouch videos. If you can find more than one or two instances, in all those videos, of them being used I'd be surprised.

http://www.retouchpro.com/index.php?page=rentals
I refer to actions for wedding, senior portraiture etc. like TRA (Totally Rad Actions), Kevin Kubota and the similar that dozens of artists make like
http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=vint...toshop+actions
I wasn't talking about step by step detailed retouching like the one you refer to.
I like you guys who are never around when I ask for help and all you know to do is complain.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2013, 03:16 AM

Sorry, this is probably obvious but can someone explain how to make the saturation and luminosity maps? I'm assuming some blending modes involved..
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pics2 View Post
I refer to actions for wedding, senior portraiture etc. like TRA (Totally Rad Actions), Kevin Kubota and the similar that dozens of artists make like
http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=vint...toshop+actions
I wasn't talking about step by step detailed retouching like the one you refer to.
I like you guys who are never around when I ask for help and all you know to do is complain.
I guess if you're looking for one button solutions, gradient maps are as good as anything. I just find them frequently offered on forums, and infrequently used in pro environments. But that's just my experience, and not meant as a dis. Use them if comfortable with them. But I highly doubt they were the tool used on the pro retouching the OP was inquiring about.

I just find them awkward to work with. Sort of like Channel Mixer: a powerful tool, but not an everyday tool for me. But one could easily suggest Channel Mix as a solution to every color problem, and with enough fussing to make it work, they'd be right.

Find what you like and get good with it. If Gradient Maps get you where you're going, that's great.

Meanwhile, I'd love to see one of the more helpful souls here actually replicate the OP's reference images w/ Gradient Maps. It's easy to just throw "solutions" to the wind, but lets see it in action.

Last edited by Flashtones; 05-24-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2013, 10:32 AM

I agree with you that they are not used in high end retouching. Actually, I wasn't clear in my post since my English is not perfect. I wanted to point out how simple are the actions made by these guys and how they made fortune on them.
In real life I don't need them. I do simple stock photography where image alternation of any kind is not welcomed.
But, I just want to master another tool, no matter how often i would use it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pics2 View Post
I agree with you that they are not used in high end retouching. Actually, I wasn't clear in my post since my English is not perfect. I wanted to point out how simple are the actions made by these guys and how they made fortune on them.
In real life I don't need them. I do simple stock photography where image alternation of any kind is not welcomed.
But, I just want to master another tool, no matter how often i would use it.
Very commendable.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching