RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Colorization / Color Separation / Pure Color

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 AM
Handmade Handmade is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
Colorization / Color Separation / Pure Color

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how this look is achieved. Mostly colorwise.

I already applied a luminosity map & saturation map to conclude that blue is added in black and yellow added in white. Reds are pretty strong/saturated too, whites desaturated. The overal pic is desaturated
Nothing special found in the histogram except that the pic is in the bright zone.
The lightning make me think to a bdish+giantbox.
The full serie : http://wienermodels.blogspot.fr/2012...gazine_20.html

However, there is something more in this look, would you be kind enough to orientate my research ?

- In the Colors : when I look at the pics, colors seems to be "pure", by this I mean well defined between each part/fabric/skin/... Like a separation or a re-colorization. But I have no clue about how this is achieved.
I'm not sure about this assumption but I already saw pic of this style shot by phase one captors, might be a step (no exif found).

- In the Retouch : stronger than usual, everything is clean, close to a plastic look/feel. So then, I do not concentrate my research on this part.

Thank you a lot in advance.
KR

EDIT: shot on Phase One P40+
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rp-lum-map.jpg (71.2 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg rp-sat-map.jpg (88.7 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg rp-original.jpg (100.0 KB, 223 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #2  
Old 05-04-2013, 02:43 AM
Zen275 Zen275 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7
Re: Colorization / Color Separation / Pure Color

I am interested in this topic also.
Reply With Quote top
  #3  
Old 05-04-2013, 12:49 PM
mshi mshi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 101
Re: Colorization / Color Separation / Pure Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handmade View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how this look is achieved. Mostly colorwise.

I already applied a luminosity map & saturation map to conclude that blue is added in black and yellow added in white. Reds are pretty strong/saturated too, whites desaturated. The overal pic is desaturated
Nothing special found in the histogram except that the pic is in the bright zone.
The lightning make me think to a bdish+giantbox.
The full serie : http://wienermodels.blogspot.fr/2012...gazine_20.html

However, there is something more in this look, would you be kind enough to orientate my research ?

- In the Colors : when I look at the pics, colors seems to be "pure", by this I mean well defined between each part/fabric/skin/... Like a separation or a re-colorization. But I have no clue about how this is achieved.
I'm not sure about this assumption but I already saw pic of this style shot by phase one captors, might be a step (no exif found).

- In the Retouch : stronger than usual, everything is clean, close to a plastic look/feel. So then, I do not concentrate my research on this part.

Thank you a lot in advance.
KR

EDIT: shot on Phase One P40+
Where is your start image?
Reply With Quote top
  #4  
Old 05-05-2013, 05:19 AM
Handmade Handmade is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
Re: Colorization / Color Separation / Pure Color

Hey,

Thank for your answer.
There is no start image, I just try to learn the process assuming that I will reproduce the same lightning setup.

King Regards
Reply With Quote top
  #5  
Old 05-18-2013, 08:48 PM
skoobey skoobey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,376
Re: Colorization / Color Separation / Pure Color

Mask each color out separately. Very cool image is the base, and everything else has been pushed with curves/gradient maps or other techniques.

Also, the clothes have blue in deep shadows (selective color, curves).
Reply With Quote top
  #6  
Old 05-19-2013, 06:06 AM
Pics2 Pics2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 75
Re: Colorization / Color Separation / Pure Color

Skoobey, I know we are supposed to know this stuff, but - how do you mask each color out separately. And how do you use selective color to make blue in deep shadows?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
  #7  
Old 05-19-2013, 06:07 AM
TheTog TheTog is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3
Re: Colorization / Color Separation / Pure Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handmade View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how this look is achieved. Mostly colorwise.

I already applied a luminosity map & saturation map to conclude that blue is added in black and yellow added in white. Reds are pretty strong/saturated too, whites desaturated. The overal pic is desaturated
Nothing special found in the histogram except that the pic is in the bright zone.
The lightning make me think to a bdish+giantbox.
The full serie : http://wienermodels.blogspot.fr/2012...gazine_20.html

However, there is something more in this look, would you be kind enough to orientate my research ?

- In the Colors : when I look at the pics, colors seems to be "pure", by this I mean well defined between each part/fabric/skin/... Like a separation or a re-colorization. But I have no clue about how this is achieved.
I'm not sure about this assumption but I already saw pic of this style shot by phase one captors, might be a step (no exif found).

- In the Retouch : stronger than usual, everything is clean, close to a plastic look/feel. So then, I do not concentrate my research on this part.

Thank you a lot in advance.
KR

EDIT: shot on Phase One P40+

How do you make the saturation and luminosity maps?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
  #8  
Old 05-19-2013, 05:47 PM
skoobey skoobey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,376
Re: Colorization / Color Separation / Pure Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pics2 View Post
Skoobey, I know we are supposed to know this stuff, but - how do you mask each color out separately. And how do you use selective color to make blue in deep shadows?
Thanks!
Use pen tool to select an area, then refine that mask by using push tool.

It doesn't have to be a color adjustment, it can be a saturation or luminosity, or whatever.

Also, it doesn't have to be a single-color area, it can be a dress that you want to "pop", or a hand that needs color adjustment, or whatever.

Pen is an absolute must. The fastest way to select.

Amateurs don't use it as it is is sort-of difficult to use when you're not good with it, but just like writing, once you know how to write, you never go back to drawing every word(manual masking by brush).

Last edited by skoobey; 05-19-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
  #9  
Old 05-20-2013, 07:46 AM
Pics2 Pics2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 75
Re: Colorization / Color Separation / Pure Color

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do use Pen tool exclusively for selections and it proves constantly that this tool is essential.
But, I have problem mastering all this color thing. I'm learning Gradient Maps now, it looks like they are essential too, the way Pen tool is. Now I'm realizing that most of the tones of color actions for Photoshop are made using at least one Gradient Map.
Reply With Quote top
  #10  
Old 05-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Flashtones Flashtones is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 956
Re: Colorization / Color Separation / Pure Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pics2 View Post
I'm learning Gradient Maps now, it looks like they are essential too, the way Pen tool is. Now I'm realizing that most of the tones of color actions for Photoshop are made using at least one Gradient Map.

Seriously? To which actions do you refer?

Here's a whole bunch of high end retouch videos. If you can find more than one or two instances, in all those videos, of them being used I'd be surprised.

http://www.retouchpro.com/index.php?page=rentals

Last edited by Flashtones; 05-20-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: oops, edited to add link to video rentals
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how can i reduce color predominance/dominance? mantra Photo Retouching 3 05-04-2013 12:08 AM
Color picker/RGB values question Andymania Photo Retouching 5 05-31-2012 10:33 AM
Color replacement tool - what am I doing wrong???? nutellagirl Photoshop Help 6 04-04-2012 04:41 AM
Film scanner for home use? bodegg Hardware 12 05-20-2007 12:40 PM
Create A Custom Color Palette Swampy RP Tutorials 2 05-24-2006 01:00 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved