RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How do I achieve this look?

Old 05-09-2013, 11:17 AM

How do I achieve this look?

First of all
Hi to everyone!

I'm new in this forum because I was redirected here when i posted a question at dslr-forum.de. I was told that you guys are really skilled when it comes to decoding a picture (look) into the referring PS/ACR adjustments and that`s what this thread is about.

There is a photographer in my area who makes some really, really good photos in my opinion. His photos, esp. the skin tones, often look a bit sepialike and brownish but at the same time slightly desaturated and therefore quite natural and really appealing. Unfortunately, I simply cannot get the same look no matter what I do. I tried and tried but at the moment I'm really growing desperate that's why I would appreciate your help very very much!

Here's a link to his website: http://www.julianessink.de/ . For example picture 3, 10 or 12. But there's also a few pictures on his FB page (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater) and one actually includes a screenshot of his Camera Raw settings (http://s14.directupload.net/images/120416/9o9pm5tl.png). Of course, I can't copy his settings as every pic is different. But I didn`t even get close to this look where the lights seem very neutral, the middle tones a bit sepialike and the skin tones very sophisticated but natural. I hope you know what i mean. And I hope it's not just my monitor (which is not calibrated).

I just think it has to be possible to achieve this look without dozens of adjustment layers. And most of the times even with a dozen of layers my portraits don't come near his pics. They always come out with an orange or magenta or greenish colour tinge or they look boring - which is why many of my portraits come out with a crossprocessed look which covers these flaws more or less.

So, if you could help me decipher his settings/my mistakes somehow I would be really thankful!

Best wishes
Peter

PS: Tell me if you would like me to upload one of my photos as an example.

Last edited by Peter der Meter; 05-09-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Patron

Re: How do I achieve this look?

Peter welcome to RetouchPro I am sure you will enjoy it here.

It would be a good idea for you to upload an image resized to the forum max so we can see your starting point and also a link to a specific image that you wish to mimic
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2013, 12:13 PM

Thanks, I hope so

Hmm... I can't see an option to upload RAW files here so I hope it's okay if I just link on of my pics as well: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1bbsvr5ijfi4ze/IMGP9000.DNG

There's resized jpg of my pp result attached. Mind you, that's one of the easier ones. I often have ambient light + strobe mixed so there's a much more difficult lighting situation. Let's say I'd want to mimic this https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...26587843_n.jpg or this look https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater . Either one, whatever you like best I'd be glad if I could do one of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP9000e2klein.jpg (77.5 KB, 82 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Patron

Peter, I am fairly certain you can get a similar colour look in your images just from ACR. The images you linked to are obviously quite different in look/lighting and execution than your current image so you will have to play around to get what you like

Only time for a quick play so did not go for an exact skin tone colour match (nor do I think should you) but on the attached in ACR I made some adjustments to your original to get somewhere in the ballpark just using adjustment in the basic tab. I would expect that you may want to refine this using HSL, Curves or other tools.

Of course it may be no where near what you envisage the image should look like but with a little time and effort on your part I am sure you will get there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACR1.jpg (163.8 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2013, 10:08 AM

Hello Peter,

Here is a version I did according to your sample image. I also uploaded a screenshot of my layer structure. Hope this will help.

Jason
www.thatchinesekid.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before_after.jpg (97.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg layer_Structure.jpg (44.4 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching