RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Pantone Skintones Guide

Old 05-15-2013, 01:07 PM

Re: Pantone Skintones Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
I don't see where it provides Lab values. I do see you are expected to view under D50 which most profiles assume. There ARE Pantone libraries based on CMYK (some within Photoshop!).

It's a good idea to communicate Skin (any color) using Lab, assuming D50 in several places. Pantone, don't see any reason it would be necessary for this use of Lab. The OP asks:

I suggest because it's not necessary. Photoshop has a Lab color picker.
There are lots of clients in the industry using all kind of color references - some of them Pantone - as I said.

Yes there are also some CMYK Pantone colors - not a bad idea though if the client prints CMYK and you have to match colors that are defined in CMYK.
There are for example lots of colors used as Corporate Identity and quite often have to be matched and guess what - they give you the CMYK values.
So there is the theory and the real world. Not everything is perfect and still you have to do an accurate and precise job (concerning a sometimes demanded CMYK file).

Here are some screenshots of the Pantone and other colors in Photoshop:
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
I suggest because it's not necessary. Photoshop has a Lab color picker.
It should not be necessary for a lot of retouchers.
But:

Imagine you do not have the desired skintone in a picture yet.
Then you have nothing to sample from.
Then when the client says he wants it to be Pantone Skintone xyz.
You open color swatch in Photoshop and search Pantone Skintone for xyz and you have it - in Lab...

So, as soon as the first client works with Pantone Skintone for reference you are glad when you have it within Photoshop.
That is just my opinion. Of course you can call the client unprecise and demand the Lab values. But my experience is that there are standards that you have to deal with. And with this Pantone Skintone thing only being 6 months on air it is too early to tell if this gets a standard tool in certain areas of retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2013, 06:34 PM

Good retouchers, who deal with CMYK on a daily basis, don't need Pantones for skintones. There are basic combinations of CMY for every skintone, which must be adjusted based on the press and paper and ink being used.

Pantones can do more harm than good. They tend to give clients a false sense of color because they will only reproduce like the swatch book if the same paper, ink, and press are used for reproduction. Even Pantone solid colors reproduce with slight differences when printed on a paper not used by Pantone to finalize their ink formulas.

The Pantone Matching System is a good basic reference, but if you are looking for exact reproduction you must always customize.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching