Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Help with gold toning

Old 09-25-2013, 06:14 PM
Re: Help with gold toning

Here is a very simple image to start with a base. Same kind of lighting so let's see what happens!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0637.jpg (87.2 KB, 166 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2013, 04:55 AM

Have you tried i think the simplest possible aproach? Create a new adjustment layer Hue and Saturation, select colorize, pick the tone you desire. Reduce the opacity to the taste or mask the areas that have too much colour. Create curves layer and make it more contrasty.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2013, 11:37 AM

I did a subtle change using a Gradient Map... Adjust colors, opacity, and masking to your needs

(Give the GIF a couple seconds to change)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gradient-Map-2.jpg (179.0 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg Gradient-Map-1.jpg (197.4 KB, 259 views)
File Type: gif Gradient map.gif (197.5 KB, 254 views)

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 09-26-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: GIF
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2013, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
I did a subtle change using a Gradient Map... Adjust colors, opacity, and masking to your needs
Nice job, Olbaldy.

As was mentioned before, there are many paths to the same end. The most important part of any process to achieve this is the layer mask.

Maybe I am out of touch, but we (the retouchers I work with) do not refer to this as "toning." It's just color correction/adjustment and can be done as above, or with curves, selective color or even levels if handled properly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2013, 03:09 AM

Don't forget of the new possibilities in the latest versions of Photoshop (CS6+) - Color Lookup
I came across the gold toning using Abstracr profiles
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2013, 08:50 AM

This is my first post/reply. I'm playing both sides here with my response, Photographer (hobbiest) and retouch/restorer.

The look can be achieved as mentioned above or even changing the temperature, make it warmer for more of a gold look.

May be I'm wrong, but...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2013, 02:20 PM

Is this what you're looking for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tones.jpg (98.5 KB, 160 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2013, 01:34 AM

Not sure if it helps, but I used to spend quite a bit of time with the photographer (Kesler), he'll readily tell anyone who asks that his color work is 99% Lightroom adjustments. Skin retouching was pretty much the only thing he did in photoshop. I once saw his Presets while he was showing me LR for the first time and noticed he had easily a hundred or so custom ones that he said he'd tinker with in LR to get just right.

He's also big on putting things in front of the lens, from feathers to sheets of celophane or gels (in conjunction with WB set to extremes and then compensated for in LR). Plus just shooting in the California desert at the right time will help with those warm tones.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2013, 03:52 PM

There is a way to interactively get what you are looking for. The method is clean and it is totally adjustable.

Make a curves adjustment layer (half circle icon at the bottom of the layers pallet) above your original image.

With curve #1 reach up and grab the top right control point on the green channel. Pull this point down the right side just a little bit. The opposite of the color green is will be adding a purple-ish, or dark brown, tone to the image. This effect is global across the entire dont necessarily want everything to go to a tannish, brownish, or purpleish color...SO...Do a command or control "i" (the letter I = invert). This will take your white mask and turn it black on the layer... and then the global coloration you just created will disappear from the image now. selectively apply your color correction back into the image...paint on that black mask (make sure it is selected) with a 10% soft white brush. Where ever you paint with white on the will now softly add a transparent brownish tone to the picture. Paint on the face area and neck for example. You will now have selectively applied a clear, transparent adjustment to exactly where you want that look in the image. The more you paint the more transparent color is applied. (remember that transparent colors will blend and add with the skin color if your skin is somewhat dark to begin with great.)

If the color you see is a bit can click on the curves thumbnail again on that layer and pull down the center point of the RGB curve...this will darken the color a lot (interactively). Adjust it to suit your artistic judgement.

If you want a more golden look then you can go back into the curve thumbnail again and then make a yellow cast. Yellow is made by pulling down on the blue channel either in the center or at the top right control point. Pull the blue down to get a yellow cast. If you want your brown to get an even warmer (red-er) look...then go to the red curve channel and drag the top right control point to the top left to add redness and warmth. If you want to lighten up the golden tone some more then pull the top right control point on the rgb layer and drag it to the left at the top just a little. This will make the gold tones a bit brighter. If you want them warmer then add red. If you want more yellow...then pull down on the curve in the blue channel.

You can also go back to the mask and add in the adjustable color to other places in the can paint with white to add more depth...AND...if you want to erase some of the color and take it away...then paint with black on the mask to remove some color where ever you want it gone from.

ALSO...remember that you can control how strong this color is blending with the opacity slider on the can make the color stronger or less strong to suit your artistic can also use the NORMAL "blend mode" and set it to multiply to get an even stronger tan/gold color. You might want to also re-adjust the green channel to get a different kind of tanish color again (move the green channel control point up or to the left to make it more greenish...or pull the control point down or to the right to get a more tan/brown look.) You are using 1 curve to do 3 or 4 things at once here...thats OK...but dont freak out because you have to experiment to get the colors that look the best to you.

You are the are the can make any color you want artistically!! ALSO...I cant give you exact numbers because every picture has different colors in the original skin...and since you are adding totally clear and transparent will MIX with the skin color underneath. The general rules I gave you above will generally work for most caucasian skin...but different luminance and hue differences in the skin will produce different resulting colors...SO YOU WILL HAVE TO EXPERIMENT and try out the curves and see what effect they have for that particular image.

Since adjustment layers are completely transparent...and wont mess up your underlying image any... you could put in a second layer above the first one if you like to add in some more color toning effects. For example: pull down on the rgb curve to darken your colors...invert the mask and paint with white... to selectively darken specific areas. You could now even add a second yellow curve adjustment layer to give you another layer of gold. To get gold: pull down the blue curve to get yellow, pull up the red curve to warm up the canary yellow and make it warmer, and then pull up the rgb curve to make the yellow brighter or darker. can Invert the mask (control I) and paint in the new yellow tones exactly where you want them on the image. This gives you complete control of where the yellow is applied and how strong it is. You can get ANY color cast in an image like this...all under your complere artistic control.

Hope this helps some...its a great way to color an image and not have the colors be opaque...but totally clear, transparent, and selectively applied. Colorizing an image like this easy and totally controllable (once you get the hang of adjustment layers technology) ...and since your method is adjustment layers...its completely clean, transparent, blendable, adjustable and correctable.

Last edited by ray12; 12-02-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2013, 08:30 AM

Hi! maybe something like this? just curves and hue saturation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0637a.jpg (97.9 KB, 79 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching