RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

question for pros regarding processing in Raw

Old 05-11-2013, 03:39 PM

question for pros regarding processing in Raw

Hi Everyone,

I have just recently started retouching for professional photographers and I'm a bit confused about what the norm is with the raw file processing. I was under the impression that unless told otherwise, I should open the image at the correct exposure using Raw and then retouch on that. However, I recently had a photographer who was upset when I did that, saying that I hadn't used his processing, etc. Should he have told me beforehand that he had processed it a certain way or is this something I should routinely ask? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2013, 05:39 AM

Re: question for pros regarding processing in Raw

Communication is the key here I imagine. As you suspect, asking is the sensible route, it avoids confusion. It's pretty unique in my experience to find an image that does not need the exposure correcting as a base starting point, let alone the myriad of other options.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Needham View Post
Communication is the key here I imagine. As you suspect, asking is the sensible route, it avoids confusion. It's pretty unique in my experience to find an image that does not need the exposure correcting as a base starting point, let alone the myriad of other options.
+1.
I would also add that you should find out if he is using the same raw processing engine as you to apply processing prior to sending you the image. For instance if you are using camera raw in PS or LR and he is using Capture One or Aperture then it is likely that there will be a mismatch as the processing between different apps. will not be the same and may even be totally ignored. Similarly if he is applying in camera specific effects these are likely to be only interpreted correctly in the raw converter for the specific camera. Finally is he using a correctly profiled monitor to view and edit.

Worth getting together with the photographer to discuss his needs and see some samples of his style to see what he expects
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcnretouch View Post
However, I recently had a photographer who was upset when I did that, saying that I hadn't used his processing, etc. Should he have told me beforehand that he had processed it a certain way or is this something I should routinely ask?
Did he provide both a raw and a rendered image? What was asked for or what was provided to you?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching