RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to do this kind of water manipulation?

Old 06-04-2013, 04:47 PM

Re: How to do this kind of water manipulation?

Nice idea but I can't help feeling the image isn't quite as polished as it could be. The antennae have been flipped and there are subtle wave forms within the wings which betray the forming process. The 'body' looks rather plonked on to the wings and could have been refined to echo the dynamism of the wings. I like the image but the artist stopped before finishing IMO.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2013, 07:59 AM

Alex Koloskov is talking about this image in this video (jump to 13:30):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZXQVUx0es8
The body was photoshoped, the wings are real splashes.

Here is the behind the scenes photo:
https://plus.google.com/+AlexKoloskov/posts/G65pmyeDCB2
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2013, 07:58 AM

kav thank you very much for the comment, i never considered composing as a process where one would have to take much care of the original data. But of course i have to agree with the comment regarding the quality of the raw material. I do not specialize in spash photography so bth i dont have enough to be considered useful enough to manage without hours of retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinq View Post
kav thank you very much for the comment, i never considered composing as a process where one would have to take much care of the original data. But of course i have to agree with the comment regarding the quality of the raw material. I do not specialize in spash photography so bth i dont have enough to be considered useful enough to manage without hours of retouching.
You know I have a decent dslr and some older dynalites, but I'm certain it would take an enormous amount of experimentation and pre-calculation to get workable splash concepts. If it was me, I would probably be tempted to start off with fluid sims just because I can do things like script them or pull frames out of the animation, tessellate, sculpt details, etc. I would have to come up with a good water shader too, and of course that invites problems dealing with vertex normals facing the correct direction and dealing with collisions and multiple refractions rather than a simple entry and exit surface with defined normals. It's not something you can really calculate as it occurs naturally afaik. I've read research papers on simulating oceans and things, and they often involve a lot of manual tuning.

I guess the point is any way you approach this, good results will take a lot of thought, planning, and revised practices as you learn more from experience.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2013, 02:46 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoro80 View Post
Alex Koloskov is talking about this image in this video (jump to 13:30):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZXQVUx0es8
The body was photoshoped, the wings are real splashes.

Here is the behind the scenes photo:
https://plus.google.com/+AlexKoloskov/posts/G65pmyeDCB2
Actually, that's exactly what Alex himself says in this video Santoro posted.

I think Alex is fantastic. Very creative with a great imagination. Also, he makes an extraordinarily practical point -- rather than take days of shooting to get that exact splash, he'd rather get close and do the rest in Photoshop. He operates under tight time constraints and I seriously doubt more than a small fraction of people viewing his images would ever notice such tiny, overall insignificant details given the overall outstanding quality of what he does, and given his originality.

It's ok to notice details and even nit-pick. No one and nothing is perfect and this forum has people with some of the sharpest eyes anywhere, it's *very* educational reading these comments. But I think he deserves tremendous credit for imagination, creativity and overall excellence as well. The guy rocks.

For me, $150 for a workshop with him would be quite a bargain that I'd snap up in a heartbeat. It's just the coast-to-coast tickets to and from Atlanta, Georgia that are the killer...... Not to mention hotel, rental car and having to take off a couple/several days for travel time in addition to workshop time. All of that adds up.....

Last edited by RobertAsh; 06-11-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching