RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to do this kind of water manipulation?

Old 05-31-2013, 03:31 PM

How to do this kind of water manipulation?

How to do this kind of water manipulation? Is this just tranforming of water splashes or is it something more?
http://genia-l.com/wp-content/upload...Yik8fISSAG.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2013, 05:58 PM

Re: How to do this kind of water manipulation?

It doesnt look like a mask.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2013, 11:14 PM

That was done by Alex Koloskov who specializes in splash photography. It's multiple exposures of different splashes. His wife composites them. He has a lot of tutorials on G+

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+AlexKoloskov/posts
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2013, 07:36 AM

I really cant imagine how it was done but $150 for his online workshop is too much for me
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2013, 07:50 AM

He also has blogs and video demos where he shows how he does things. $150 would be too steep for me also.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2013, 07:59 AM

He should do a tutorial for Kelby Training
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoro80 View Post
I really cant imagine how it was done but $150 for his online workshop is too much for me
It's understandable. You're 100% wrong in the way you examine his work though. Transforms not only affect the sharpness of pixels, but they can cause the lighting to no longer match. I suspect he sets up as much as possible in camera, possibly over hundreds of shots for a very complex job. It should be obvious that liquid wouldn't transform well when you look at its hard reflections. You can see his softbox almost perfectly in some of those reflections and in a more distorted sense in many more. He mentions the use of elinchrom on the site. That is probably because they've always catered to the niche of motion capture. You can learn quite a lot about what was likely one shot or another by looking at the patterns of the reflections and their relative brightness values.

First off basically ignore the background. If this was composed of many shots, he probably took a clean shot of the background as a canvas for the rest of the composition. That doesn't mean it wasn't lit simultaneously with the liquid, just that he may not have taken a background from a hero shot. Some basic understanding of Snell's law, reflections, and fresnel effects would help further with the visual dissection of such an image. It won't tell you what led him to certain choices in its creation, but I don't feel like debating that, as I'm not the photographer. Look at the image. Look for a highlight. Trace its falloff with your eyes, and try to understand the accompanying shape. I can spot a certain number for each wing. The antennae could be taken from larger shapes, but the tops of them were clearly spherical when shot. Otherwise the softbox reflections would have a much higher level of distortion. If you just spend some time piece by piece, you should understand what is being reflected and where it was located relative to the initial position of that piece.

I'm actually glad I came across this thread, as his work is really interesting. I hope I didn't nerd it out too much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2013, 03:19 AM

The sharpness for the human eye is based on contrast mostly. If you are experienced in dodge and burn and have some painting skills you can actualy mold the drop of water to a desired shape and add contrast (paint in highlights and shadows to make it look believable.

As i said. You need to be a great retoucher for this kind of job. Will try to post a before and after photo once im done with my current work and to be clear - im not a great retoucher.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinq View Post
The sharpness for the human eye is based on contrast mostly. If you are experienced in dodge and burn and have some painting skills you can actualy mold the drop of water to a desired shape and add contrast (paint in highlights and shadows to make it look believable.

As i said. You need to be a great retoucher for this kind of job. Will try to post a before and after photo once im done with my current work and to be clear - im not a great retoucher.
Without getting into more nerd talk, I would never try burn and dodge tools with this. If needed I would paint the highlights wherever reflection data couldn't be scavenged. The data available in some of the midtone values just isn't worth anything when it comes to producing the appearance of direct/specular reflection. You would end up illustrating it, not dodging and burning it regardless of how good you are. Even if you used those tools, not much of the original data would be left by the end, as it's not just the values that change, but the range too within the gamut of your working space. The best splash work I've seen started with good source material. You can talk about great retouching, but you can still apply that following great photography.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2013, 01:47 AM

Depends how much I was getting paid for the job. If the budget was there, I'd get a perspex model made by Trengrove Studios or somebody similar (if there is anybody else).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching