RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Help with Cold/Dark landscapes

Old 06-05-2013, 07:28 PM

Re: Help with Cold/Dark landscapes

This time I focused on creating similar spotlights around the image. I went colder than the original but not as much, keeping the grass in warmer brown tones.

I apologize for the highly compressed jpg.

Again I used curves, selective color, hue/saturation and masked each layer according to needs. The whole process was done quickly 10-15 minutes.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...1&d=1370478181
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41B.jpg (79.6 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2013, 10:06 PM

I think you're headed in a nice direction. You could stop there and they'd be perfectly wonderful as is -- however, if you wan them more like Julian Claverley's, you need to use a heavier hand.

I used this as a target for inspiration, just as a loose guide without trying to be slavish to color or tone.

http://www.juliancalverley.com/commi...landscapes/10/

I just pushed yours deeper, bringing out more texture, clarity, depth and color.

Perhaps I went to far, perhaps not far enough, but I just wanted to get it in the ballpark of Calverley's.

(Please forgive my very crude masking, I used my finger on my laptop's trackpad.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (35.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg RTP_Panther.jpg (51.7 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2013, 09:29 AM

Good point on the heavier hand. Yours is more in the direction of Julian’s work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
This time I focused on creating similar spotlights around the image. I went colder than the original but not as much, keeping the grass in warmer brown tones.

I apologize for the highly compressed jpg.

Again I used curves, selective color, hue/saturation and masked each layer according to needs. The whole process was done quickly 10-15 minutes.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...1&d=1370478181
I don't think it's perfect, but I like where you're going. I think if you keep at that, it will come a bit more naturally. I just mentioned channel mixer because it handles somewhat extreme color changes well. I've used it for many things like changing colors of dresses and K only cmyk drop shadows. I just like that it has the ability to make significant changes while preserving detail as long as you know how to balance the values out correctly. It does require very careful masking compared to something like selective color. Selective color is targeting a specific color range, so it offers some secondary protection against fringing issues.

The initial photographer whose style you wished to emulate has a lot of highlighting work done in post to help balance out the darker areas, but I think over time you'll go in your own direction with these. I like the way you're blocking it out rather than trying to tackle everything simultaneously.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching