RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Real World Studio Retouching Experience...

Old 06-28-2013, 03:56 PM

Re: Real World Studio Retouching Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyrad View Post
Hiya Santoro...

Far be it from me to try and convince anyone to buy my tutorials.. However, if it were so easy to find out how to retouch professionally then I doubt I'd see as much schlock out there.
I think a big problem is that people are often viewing commercial projects without understanding the cumulative goals or what is feasible in a given step. That could explain a lot of the schlock. I'm not sure how much commentary is offered there, but professional illustrators often put out their own videos. In the end they typically devolve into a "watch me paint" thing rather than offering much insight as to how certain choices were made or how far ahead they're thinking on a given step.

On a side note, I'm going to try to put together one later this year, as I want to see how much work it really requires. I suspect it will be an unpleasant surprise.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2013, 04:37 PM

Teaching others has it rewards Kav, so do it if that kind of thing brings you gratification. The "shchlock" I'm speaking of is the laziness... leaving warp trails or simply sand blasting skin. Poor color moves that block up shadows or blow out important highlights. Missed color casts. Simple things that come from learning the right way.

I strive not to simply sit and paint, but to explain what it is that I'm doing and why I'm doing it. I've been studying martial arts for about 10yrs now and I teach every weekend. Often times to small children... so I'm constantly trying to hone those skills. Whether I'm explaining the art of knife defense or how to dodge and burn a model's skin I always find a parallel.

My goal was to start a complete site dedicated to the digital arts, but it's taken a lot longer than I'd hoped for since I'm also very busy working in the industry. So, I place some stuff up on Vimeo to get the ball rolling and get a feel for who's out there and what they'd want. I'm beginning to see a lot of "gimme, gimme" attitude- prevalent on the net since the beginning I guess.

Either way, the people that want to learn and want to work will find what they need. I lose nothing by trying. I don't think you'd lose much either

-conrad

PS... My real name is Corrado, so I guess Conradicus... you're the only one
I'll be covering anything that people want to see. However, hair retouching is a daunting task and will take some time. I can't promise it'll be available for nothing
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I'll be covering anything that people want to see. However, hair retouching is a daunting task and will take some time. I can't promise it'll be available for nothing
I'd be more than happy to pay for a great hair retouching tutorial. :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Teaching others has it rewards Kav, so do it if that kind of thing brings you gratification. The "shchlock" I'm speaking of is the laziness... leaving warp trails or simply sand blasting skin. Poor color moves that block up shadows or blow out important highlights. Missed color casts. Simple things that come from learning the right way.
I initially contributed some of that schlock. I don't think I do today, but I know exactly what you mean. That doesn't include sand blasting skin, as I'm neurotic about texture. I probably used to gauge sharpening poorly though.

Quote:
I strive not to simply sit and paint, but to explain what it is that I'm doing and why I'm doing it. I've been studying martial arts for about 10yrs now and I teach every weekend. Often times to small children... so I'm constantly trying to hone those skills. Whether I'm explaining the art of knife defense or how to dodge and burn a model's skin I always find a parallel.
Hey that sounds awesome.

Quote:
My goal was to start a complete site dedicated to the digital arts, but it's taken a lot longer than I'd hoped for since I'm also very busy working in the industry. So, I place some stuff up on Vimeo to get the ball rolling and get a feel for who's out there and what they'd want. I'm beginning to see a lot of "gimme, gimme" attitude- prevalent on the net since the beginning I guess.

Either way, the people that want to learn and want to work will find what they need. I lose nothing by trying. I don't think you'd lose much either
It happens. I think part of it can be an issue of confidence in what they're really buying or possibly poor differentiation with other commercial products. I would think the people most likely to have both the funds and the desire would be photographers and graphic designers. Both have a lot of working individuals with vested interests and terrible retouching skills.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2013, 05:49 PM

So what exactly is it that you're looking for in regards to "hair" retouching? Mostly, hair ads consist of the photographer shooting about 100 plates and then it's up to me to "frankenstein" different plates of hair into the main "hero" shot to create the new "hero" shot. Then It's time to clean up strays, perform all shaping and spotting, beauty retouchig and then finishing. It's a long process and NEVER the same for every image

C
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
So what exactly is it that you're looking for in regards to "hair" retouching? Mostly, hair ads consist of the photographer shooting about 100 plates and then it's up to me to "frankenstein" different plates of hair into the main "hero" shot to create the new "hero" shot. Then It's time to clean up strays, perform all shaping and spotting, beauty retouchig and then finishing. It's a long process and NEVER the same for every image

C
Just by knowing the photographer shoots a ridiculously large quantity of plates is insightful to me. How you put them together would be interesting.

Are there scenarios where you have to deal with bad hair and make it look amazing? A lot of tutorials often feature either a fairly well executed shot and/or the skin and hair is in really good condition. It would be interesting to see an image which is hard to retouch edited.

Do you predominantly use the same techniques for editing hair with variations depending of shapes etc?

I haven't seen many tutorials about edited hair. I'm not too bad with skin but hair just frustrates me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2013, 07:47 AM

Exactly, most of the retouching tutorials feature model with perfect skin and perfect makeup, so its much easier to retouch it, but the principles are same.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conradicus View Post
I haven't seen many tutorials about edited hair. I'm not too bad with skin but hair just frustrates me.
Hair is annoying because if it's just a typical beauty shot for a magazine, you may not be granted access to so many plates or be able to obtain them quickly. That is incredibly irritating if the hair is really horrible and you just have next to nothing to work with, but I suspect that has happened to everyone at some point or another.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2013, 08:47 PM

I am in the industry also and i personally never had to do any serious hair work on editorials it's mostly just removing some flyaways, maybe a couple of hairs and toning back the rest. Usually you get a drive of the shoot then process the selects (and whatever you might need) and send back the drive to the photographer when done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGarcia View Post
I am in the industry also and i personally never had to do any serious hair work on editorials it's mostly just removing some flyaways, maybe a couple of hairs and toning back the rest. Usually you get a drive of the shoot then process the selects (and whatever you might need) and send back the drive to the photographer when done.
You sir have probably catered to better clients than myself. It's interesting to hear though and I certainly do not doubt you.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching