RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Real World Studio Retouching Experience...

Old 07-09-2013, 08:18 PM

Re: Real World Studio Retouching Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyrad View Post
Hey all,

I learned every thing I know from reading books and working... oh yea, and making a lot of mistakes. Sometimes costly ones. So when people say "share out of the kindness of my heart".. I can't take them very seriously... It's like somebody sweating to build a beautiful home and somebody asking to live there for nothing because it's the "kind" thing to do... C'mon people! If you're serious about learning then you'll do what's necessary. Otherwise you're just an internet cherry picker. If you want to learn how to make grandma look younger or do the local high school portraits, that's fine... really! I respect the work. but the work I've done cost me years of my life, not to mention hundreds of hours to compile... and y'all want me to just donate it? Gotta love ya!

Back when I started I payed thousands of dollars on bogus courses, books and tutors who really didn't know squat... because I wanted learn and I wanted to work as a professional. If you want to be a novice then play on youtube and hunt for free stuff... if you want to learn from a seasoned professional so that you can work and make a living, then find the time and, if necessary... the money to accomplish that goal. But don't ask me to do all the hard work for you. that's just lame...

Hope I don't sound too grumpy. Some things just set me off.

For those of you who bother to make the financial contribution, I'm always available to help you out. I'm also more than happy to answer anybody's questions here... for free... Giving back is a 2 way street though

C
Im sorry you were offended. It wasn't my intention but I do think you're putting down a lot of people who cant afford hundreds of dollars on retouching videos. A lot of them may just be getting out of school and have hefty student loans, or other forms of debt. Not everyone has $300 laying around to purchase some retouch videos so you shouldn't slight those people who have to resort to free methods of learning out of necessity.

I for one have paid for resources like yours. I've learned from books, magazines, videos on YouTube (which you put down), DVD's, Lynda.com etc., I've learned the most from experience.

I dont work as a novice, I dont work for free.

No one hear straight up asked you to "do all the work for us".
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephnicklo View Post
Im sorry you were offended. It wasn't my intention but I do think you're putting down a lot of people who cant afford hundreds of dollars on retouching videos. A lot of them may just be getting out of school and have hefty student loans, or other forms of debt. Not everyone has $300 laying around to purchase some retouch videos so you shouldn't slight those people who have to resort to free methods of learning out of necessity.

I for one have paid for resources like yours. I've learned from books, magazines, videos on YouTube (which you put down), DVD's, Lynda.com etc., I've learned the most from experience.

I dont work as a novice, I dont work for free.

No one hear straight up asked you to "do all the work for us".
Funny, I feel the same way Conrad does. I didn't feel he disrespected anyone. But I read a lot of crying for free information all over. Don't get me wrong, I personally would love that but that's not how the world works, he's gotta eat too. He's providing his experience/service for a fee, which is extensive from the looks of it and if your serious hey just save up for a bit, it's only $300 bucks. I got an idea cut off some partying or buying the latest iphone and invest in something that might help you out in the long run. And No I don't know Conrad.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGarcia View Post
Funny, I feel the same way Conrad does. I didn't feel he disrespected anyone. But I read a lot of crying for free information all over. Don't get me wrong, I personally would love that but that's not how the world works, he's gotta eat too. He's providing his experience/service for a fee, which is extensive from the looks of it and if your serious hey just save up for a bit, it's only $300 bucks. I got an idea cut off some partying or buying the latest iphone and invest in something that might help you out in the long run. And No I don't know Conrad.
I didn't say I cant afford it — I was speaking for a group of people who can not. Those who resort to Youtube and free tutorials.

This isn't aimed at heyrad but there is in fact a general lack of people willing to share their knowledge and you cant deny it. Many designers, photographers, retouchers etc., refuse to share their "secrets" as if they'd suddenly lose all of their clients if some upstart kid learns their tips. It's kinda sad.

I currently subscribe to Lynda.com and not too long ago purchase a really nice DVD set on retouching from Gnoman Workshop by Meghan Farrell. It was incredibly useful in gaining knowledge of retouching people (A comprehensive video on automotive retouching is something I'd pay big bucks for! Anyone know of one?). It's pretty old now but the same general techniques still apply to Photoshop CC. You guys should check it out. It's fairly cheap now that it's been discounted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2013, 11:14 PM

Maybe they are trying to protect their business perhaps I don't blame them. I am sure they worked hard for that to just handing it over out of kindness doesn't make sense to me. The sad part is when you have to repeat the same thing over and over again. You will hear pros say learn to clone/heal/d&b and lot of people will do everything but then two years later they regret wasting their time and not learning to work properly. The secret is that it a lot simpler that it seems and its more about your eye than anything.

I think there is webinar on this site for car retouching check it out I forgot the guys name.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2013, 03:16 AM

Conrad, I bought your CanineCurves Tutorial and I must say I got what I paid for. I am sure your curve is going to save my time and a lot of troubles … Thank you for sharing your trick so cheap - I can imagine how many different curves you created before you were happy with this one.

Regards, Filip
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2013, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeretouch View Post
Conrad, I bought your CanineCurves Tutorial and I must say I got what I paid for. I am sure your curve is going to save my time and a lot of troubles … Thank you for sharing your trick so cheap - I can imagine how many different curves you created before you were happy with this one.

Regards, Filip
Thks for your info. I really like his skintone work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeretouch View Post

Regards, Filip
I too bought Canine Curves. A really nice tutorial about something I had never really thought that much about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2013, 12:31 PM

Well, I can always count on a discussion here

I'm here to help everyone... Money or no money. However, the 9 series tutorial took me many hours to develop. I mean, how do you present information to people who may have never seen it? How do you explain the concepts rather than just demonstrating? All of this as well as software needed to record and edit the tutorials, the cost of hosting the tutorials and my time. It all adds up my friends.

The good news... whoever buys my tutorials has me as a mentor. AND... I continually add to the big studies. Today I added 2 videos expanding on dodge and burn techniques. If there's something that someone doesn't understand regarding the series, I'll be glad to add more videos to explain it. So at the end of the day, I defy anyone to find the kind of professional retouching education anywhere else on the net.. OR IN A SCHOOL.. for $300...

My goal is simple... if you don't have the money to purchase these tutorials, then save... because if you study them and then apply them I guarantee! you'll be further along than most "pros" working today. And wouldn't a $300 investment in a well paying career be worth it? I wish everyone the best, and I'm still here to help

-Conrad
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyrad View Post
Well, I can always count on a discussion here

I'm here to help everyone... Money or no money. However, the 9 series tutorial took me many hours to develop. I mean, how do you present information to people who may have never seen it? How do you explain the concepts rather than just demonstrating? All of this as well as software needed to record and edit the tutorials, the cost of hosting the tutorials and my time. It all adds up my friends.

The good news... whoever buys my tutorials has me as a mentor. AND... I continually add to the big studies. Today I added 2 videos expanding on dodge and burn techniques. If there's something that someone doesn't understand regarding the series, I'll be glad to add more videos to explain it. So at the end of the day, I defy anyone to find the kind of professional retouching education anywhere else on the net.. OR IN A SCHOOL.. for $300...

My goal is simple... if you don't have the money to purchase these tutorials, then save... because if you study them and then apply them I guarantee! you'll be further along than most "pros" working today. And wouldn't a $300 investment in a well paying career be worth it? I wish everyone the best, and I'm still here to help

-Conrad
To be totally honest, if I could actually download and keep the videos, or receive them on a DVD, I would love to buy them but spending $300 on a video that I need internet access to watch AND I cant watch in a year is bothersome.

Seeing as I am an Art Director and not just a retoucher or compositor, there may be stretches of months where I dont retouch a human being — so at times, the knowledge may be forgotten and I may need to go back and re-watch the videos. There have been times where I've gone back to the .mov files I got from the Gnoman Workshop course to jog my memory on a technique.

I dont think I"m the only one that feels that way. That is honestly my main hesitation in "renting" your courses.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2013, 02:27 PM

Hey Joseph...

I don't understand that 1 year thing... this VOD at Vimeo is still new to me. I'm sure that if there's a way to continue them that I will- even if I have to reupload them. As for downloading, I've been in the business a long time. I've seen my work stolen and presented all over the world. I really have to keep things tight. Also, the images used in the tutorials don't belong to me, but were "loaned" to me by my clients/friends. As and AD you can certainly understand.

I would never try to "sell" you on my tutorials... I'm really not doing this for the money. At the end of the day I want to bring the level of artistry back to where it was. However, I'm a firm believer that people who get things for nothing rarely appreciate them- hence the fee.

I'm not hard to find my friend.

Conrad
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching