RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Real World Studio Retouching Experience...

Old 07-10-2013, 02:38 PM

Re: Real World Studio Retouching Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyrad View Post
Hey Joseph...

I don't understand that 1 year thing... this VOD at Vimeo is still new to me. I'm sure that if there's a way to continue them that I will- even if I have to reupload them. As for downloading, I've been in the business a long time. I've seen my work stolen and presented all over the world. I really have to keep things tight. Also, the images used in the tutorials don't belong to me, but were "loaned" to me by my clients/friends. As and AD you can certainly understand.

I would never try to "sell" you on my tutorials... I'm really not doing this for the money. At the end of the day I want to bring the level of artistry back to where it was. However, I'm a firm believer that people who get things for nothing rarely appreciate them- hence the fee.

I'm not hard to find my friend.

Conrad
The Vimeo VOD thing kinda stinks. When you go to purchase, it says "Viewing period: 1 year" which immediately threw me off.

I understand about the piracy issue. There has to be some sort of encoding that you can do to prevent it.

Sad that you feel that way about people not appreciating free stuff. I assure you, not everyone is that way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2013, 02:50 PM

We do what we can my friend... At the end of the day I have a company to run and a life to lead.

I know that most people have a sense of appreciation... That's why i don't charge for every tutorial I post. But I do believe that if someone really wants to better their life and learn that it should cost something. That's just how I was raised. This FREE thing has only been around since the mid '90s when the internet started. It's been a hard road getting people used to how barter and trade works
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyrad View Post
We do what we can my friend... At the end of the day I have a company to run and a life to lead.

I know that most people have a sense of appreciation... That's why i don't charge for every tutorial I post. But I do believe that if someone really wants to better their life and learn that it should cost something. That's just how I was raised. This FREE thing has only been around since the mid '90s when the internet started. It's been a hard road getting people used to how barter and trade works
Damn the internet! Right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2013, 07:25 PM

As far as closely guarded secrets go, I think for most working professional retouchers, their secret is simply tens of thousands of hours of practice. It is for me anyway. I don't know how one should expect to have that sort of thing condensed down to a paragraph or two on a forum to explain how to achieve a desired effect. It's like going to a great restaurant and asking the chef how they made a dish; they can give you the recipe, but unless your instincts about subtle flavorings and knife work and temperature have been honed with tons of practice, you probably won't get the same result.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2013, 10:27 PM

After reading all the comments, I think i will have to agree with Conrad. Love this part..
Quote:
However, I'm a firm believer that people who get things for nothing rarely appreciate them- hence the fee.
I have already watched all of Conrad's videos and deeply studied his portfolio. The knowledge that he is sharing is WORTH paying for!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2013, 03:24 PM

The Canine Curves reminds me the Solar Curve:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...lar-curve.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2013, 05:12 PM

Pretty much the same thing Sant!

Only difference is I use a finer point set. And I create an opposite curve set (one starting at the top in stead of the bottom) to help me look closely at blacks where the original curve helps more with whites.

I don't use mine for skin cleanup... but I DO use it a lot for color
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2013, 05:54 PM

Great tutorial on this made jonasw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voZOc_Spx64
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyGcW7NrCYk
But I will look at yours tutorial too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2013, 07:08 PM

Conrad, I really like your Dexter poster. I was wondering, how did you achieve this rich skine tone. Did you color the skin somehow?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2013, 01:16 AM

Well first off, the tutorial with the German dude dodging and burning cracked me up. LOVE the thrash metal he had on in the background. His method was both obfuscated and destructive. By that I mean that he used many layers to achieve the same affect as a single curve. Any retoucher who uses Brightness/Contrast really doesn't understand what they're doing and they're just lazy. I think i'll do a tutorial on the difference. Brightness and Contrast as a dodge and burn tool is nonsense because you have no way of pinpointing the areas you want to affect(like a curve) nor do you have the slope a curve offers. THAT'S why he had the desaturation issue and had to address that with a secondary step. Using curves to lighten and darken doesn't leave the harsh color residue that the overlay mode techniques do...

But enough of that...

Remember one thing Sant... a good photographer creates good photographs. Christan Weber shot that image and the colors were beautiful. What I had to do was comp a few items in and make the hand look dead- which was tough, but lots of fun. The skin tone was rich already, I just made sure it was uniform and blemish free

C
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching