RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How they do it?

Old 07-05-2013, 04:44 PM

Re: How they do it?

Yeah exactly as you said almost 3d. I will upload some of my work exampel but I think it isn't even close to this guy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2013, 11:32 AM

I'm really impressed with this guy. It's understated (the day pics as opposed to the evening) and perfectly done . He did a great job with the available light in the church and I like what he's done with the colours in the bride prep... Thanks for the link.
I'm afraid I can't give any insight into the post other than what's already been mentioned.

Last edited by milesburden; 07-11-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2013, 12:00 PM

Yeah is very difficult to copy he's style. He's doing workshops but even some people graduated of them cannot achieve this effect. I know he's doing a lot of raw conversion and using mask in ps. Separately for skin, sky even for clothes. And off course using best gear is helpful (fast prime lenses).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2013, 12:05 PM

And here is small example before and after http://sebastianmalachowski.pl/blog/...ecien-otwarty/
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2013, 12:27 PM

Wow, thanks for that link!^^^
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2013, 06:59 PM

Early in my career I was a custom B&W printer. I was self-taught, working on my own fine art landscapes. I cut my teeth by doing 12 hour stretches working on one or two images. Print after print trying to get it perfect. Eventually, but not that long after, I landed a job at a very prestigious custom lab in NYC.

Some of the guys there were really good printers -- far, far better than me. But you know what? We all used the same damned tools and techniques, we all dodged with black blobs on wires, and we all burned in with our hands and some cutouts in black cards, we all pushed and pulled contrast with time in the developer, we all flashed and bleached when we needed too. The difference between us was not our techniques, it was our level of craftsmanship. Those guys just had thousands more hours under their belts than me.

You can talk technique till you're blue in the face, ya still gotta put in the time to hone the craft and develop the eye.

This guy is a very good "printer".

(FWIW, I'm much more impressed with his portfolio than those before/afters. They're probably what he teaches, his portfolio is what he does.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2013, 11:54 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter333 View Post
Yeah is very difficult to copy he's style. He's doing workshops but even some people graduated of them cannot achieve this effect. I know he's doing a lot of raw conversion and using mask in ps. Separately for skin, sky even for clothes. And off course using best gear is helpful (fast prime lenses).
Using fast prime lenses (aka the best gear) won't help you here. If he used an f4 or f3.5 - 4.5 so-called "kit lens" zoom instead of a top-end f2.8 lens it would make no material difference except for where he relies on wide apertures for very thin depth of field.

As proof, just look at those 'before' images. Any good lens and any good camera could produce those, that part doesn't require the most expensive gear, although that never hurts.

Flashtones nailed it, his post is very instructive here. A surprising number of the outstanding artists don't use the latest or greatest -- instead, they have mastery of the tools they actually use (however great or humble those tools may be), impeccable craftsmanship and a surpassing grasp of what they're wanting to achieve.

If you're into billiards and its history, there was an author of a book I read some time ago who said the legend Willie Mosconi didn't need the most expensive pool cue, he could run the table with a broom handle - then sweep the place afterward. That author was right.

For more evidence, check out the websites of Calvin Hollywood and Michael O -- both are amazing artists, and both use Photoshop CS2, not the latest nor the greatest nor the best by any reasonable measure. Because it's not the equipment, it's the technique.

Last edited by RobertAsh; 07-12-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAsh View Post
Using fast prime lenses (aka the best gear) won't help you here. If he used an f4 or f3.5 - 4.5 so-called "kit lens" zoom instead of a top-end f2.8 lens it would make no material difference except for where he relies on wide apertures for very thin depth of field.

As proof, just look at those 'before' images. Any good lens and any good camera could produce those, that part doesn't require the most expensive gear, although that never hurts.

Flashtones nailed it, his post is very instructive here. A surprising number of the outstanding artists don't use the latest or greatest -- instead, they have mastery of the tools they actually use (however great or humble those tools may be), impeccable craftsmanship and a surpassing grasp of what they're wanting to achieve.

If you're into billiards and its history, there was an author of a book I read some time ago who said the legend Willie Mosconi didn't need the most expensive pool cue, he could run the table with a broom handle - then sweep the place afterward. That author was right.

For more evidence, check out the websites of Calvin Hollywood and Michael O -- both are amazing artists, and both use Photoshop CS2, not the latest nor the greatest nor the best by any reasonable measure. Because it's not the equipment, it's the technique.
All very true - clearly a great amount of one ha been invested in learning photoshop etc - master of dodge and burn for sure. Oh and I second the Calvin Hollywood mention, I am a great admirer of his work and have followed him for a while now - he also does tuts on kelby training now which are worth a watch if u have a subscription
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2013, 03:47 PM

Well done …

I would say that he is using luminosity masking techniques …

Regards, Filip

----------------------------------------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com and http://photoapps.info
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2013, 05:44 PM

Thanks for answers.

[QUOTE=creativeretouch;317555]Well done …

I would say that he is using luminosity masking techniques …

Regards, Filip

----------------------------------------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com and http://photoapps.info[/QUOTE

Hmm, this is new for me. Could you tell me something more about this technique? Tony Kuyper's actions would be helpful?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching