RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

arranging layers

Old 07-07-2013, 05:02 AM

arranging layers

Hi everybody!

This question is about fashion and beauty retouching..

My layers always end up a complete mess, and I am having to merge down f.eks. the dodge and burn layer in order to use free transform etc.
I always keep color adjustments and curves on top, but even then, when I try to clone on a layer underneath, it is affected by the curve above.
And obstacles like these means that i end up not being able to adjust later on.

I am a member of several tutorial sites etc. but nobody seems to go in-depth about layer organising, and give some clear instructions.

I need some kind of recipe which leaves all layers open to correction, in a way where they don't interfear with eachother

Any advice, or link to a good tutorial?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 AM

Re: arranging layers

Make sure that the clone stamp tool and healing brush are set to 'current and below'. That way the cleanup layers won't be affected by the curve and adjustment layers above them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2013, 12:11 PM

Thank you! I will do that..
Do you know the best place to locate the DB layer (50% grey, soft light)?
I can't do any free transform after , all the strokes show up, and I therefore have to merge it.
I rarely use the healing brush, so that one is not a problem..
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2013, 12:57 PM

I put the DB layer above the cloning cleanup layer and try to do most of my cloning before I start dodging and burning.

Usually this works for me but sometimes I will notice things after I have already dodged and burned that still need fixing on the cloning layer and when I start cloning again it doesn't look good because of the dodge and burn layer above it. In that case I create another cloning layer above the DB layer.

Ideally you would do your free transforming first before cloning and dodge and burning and creating your adjustment layers, but that is not always possible and so yeah sometimes I end up with messy layer stacks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2013, 01:11 PM

Thank you, this is great help, I need to get these things sorted..
Another problem get is that if I want to continue on top of my color and curve layers, doing something else, it seems to me I need to merge in order to continue, because the layers are "empty".. I used to just merge, but with clients I need to keep everything flexible..
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looby View Post
Another problem get is that if I want to continue on top of my color and curve layers, doing something else, it seems to me I need to merge in order to continue, because the layers are "empty".. I used to just merge, but with clients I need to keep everything flexible..
Maybe you could just turn off the curve and color layers above and then do your merging of the cloning and DB layers to do what ever that something else is? That way you won't loose the ability to make future edits to the curve and color layers above. Usually it is not necessary for me to include the curve and color layers in a merge.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2013, 02:30 PM

Thanks! Never thought of that..But ideally I would like to keep all layers active, is that possible? If I turned off everything exept the background and merged visable? I will go and try..
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2013, 02:52 PM

Just turn your curves and adjustment layers back on after you have merged the cleanup and DB layers below them and they are active once again.

If you want to merge layers but not loose the layers underneath the keyboard shortcut on a mac is Command +Option +Shift +E. On windows it is Control + Alt + Shift + E. That way you could always mask out your merged copy layer if you want to go back to the earlier DB and cloning layers underneath.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2013, 02:53 PM

Hmm, not possible. I need all layers to stay active, especially the DB layer, it is the most important
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2013, 03:00 PM

Thank you for your reply. I don't want to merge anything at all, that is my problem. I just want a new layer with an image in. The shortcut you mention is what I have always done, but it is almost like flattening.. I don't understand what you mean by masking out the copied layer.
From my experience it is game over as soon as you use the comand+opt+shift+E.
It has been a mystery for years how I can continue without merging?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching