RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

BeautyRetouchers

Old 07-09-2013, 10:41 PM

BeautyRetouchers

Hi. My name is Oscar and I recently launched my website Beautyretouchers.com. I would like some creatique on my work and also my site. The obvious goal is to help photographers and future clients purchase my high end post processing services. Yes.. I did say high end. Here is an example.

What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MujerMala.jpg (53.3 KB, 127 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2013, 05:18 AM

Re: BeautyRetochers

Did you post the original instead of the retouch by mistake?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2013, 08:03 AM

The brutal truth that it is far from 'high end' whatever that concept may be. It is patchy in the skin tones and shadows and needs further d&b to refine it. Lips also need doing, eyes need a review etc...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2013, 11:44 AM

Hi Guys. Thanks for the constructive critique. That is the problem I am having. I have been a photo retoucher for over 5+ years. I have mainly worked on Product Photography Editing and obviously need some help. I do SOLID beauty retouching but I guess I need some help in the finishing. Im attaching the original photo so you can see the BIG difference from this one. What work do you think this image still needs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Julie-M1.jpg (74.6 KB, 97 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2013, 11:46 AM

Look at all the changes in the lips, jawline, and even nose I did. The problem I Have with Beauty Retouching, is I dont quite know when a photo is " Finished". Like if a client says: Remove blemishes, Fix the contrast and color correct, I can do it. But if there is no creative direction then Im stuck. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2013, 10:17 AM

The original looks better. Don't know what moves you made to her jawline, but you left a glaring hotspot on her right side that wasn't there before. The space between her lips is a judgment call, but I think she looked more natural in the original. In addition, you've distorted the natural curve they make, both top and bottom. Overall, you've killed detail and shape. It seems that you've done some kind of blurring move, without understanding how to make it effective, given that you've increased the blotchiness. The colder tones you've come up with are fashionable in some instances, but the rest is pretty much a disaster.

The thing is, there are an infinite number of examples of decent beauty retouching of faces just like this one. The most important technique is no where to be found in the Photoshop documentation or You Tube videos. You need to be able to look at a good job, and compare it with yours, and recognize the distance between them. If you can't see that, no one here can help you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2013, 10:52 AM

Thanks for your comments edgework! Are you a retoucher yourself? It seems that you are the only person that says that I have " Damaged" the image by fixing up the lips, and shape. Other retouchers/photographers have critiqued my work and just mentioned that they need some more D&B to fix the blotchiness of it, but that the rest is good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2013, 03:25 AM

Smile Re: BeautyRetouchers

original photo was already good. i think you must lessen some cyan on her face, then remove those unwanted skin pores.

for me, i dont like the result of having a bluish background. it seems to be a cast on harry potter, or its a photo for your instagram. or instead your intention is not to put in beauty magazine.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching