RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Checking precision of your mask? How???

Old 08-20-2013, 05:39 AM
Patron

Re: Checking precision of your mask? How???

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
You guys are so off, I can't even start explaining.

I'm asking a bout a method other then pressing the "\" key to see the mask over the image???

Oh, please God, if I could explain this any better I would.
Here you go again with what appears to be another arrogant comment biting the hands that are trying to feed you . Perhaps I am wrong and this is a language misunderstanding and the intention of your replies is humour?

Asking about a method other than "\" (quick mask) has already been answered "If you then look in Properties/Mask you can click on Mask Edge button which will bring you to the Refine Edge menu where there are many options to refine your mask" and been confirmed by Flashtones as a way of seeing the mask over the image - which is exactly what you stated as your need!

Repairman gave you an excellent reply once your second reply had explained what you were looking for, including implying the fact that the pen tool is probably not the correct tool for organic things like fur and hair.

From what you have said so far your question is twofold. First how do you see the accuracy of your mask (which has been answered with refine edge view) and second how to construct a mask that will be correct and accurate on all backgrounds. This is a tall order in my opinion as effective masking of organic objects such as hair and fur is so dependent on the background that you should expect to have to refine each time you significantly change the background colour etc. If there is a guaranteed method I too would love to see it demonstrated.

You have been posting here long enough to know that this is an image oriented site and that a picture paints a thousand words so you should have considered providing a section of the image on the different backgrounds to clearly show what you have been experiencing.

EDIT:Assumptions have been made by me that you are using CS5 or later if so then this may help with your issues
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photosho...7ca2-8000.html

Last edited by Tony W; 08-20-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2013, 06:48 AM

Click on your layer with mask>go to channels and click on the eye icon and the mask becomes visible. Double click on the channel and a window comes up where you can adjust the opacity of the mask. You can the paint with mask on where adjustments are needed. Then just click the eye icon again to turn the mask off.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick m View Post
Click on your layer with mask>go to channels and click on the eye icon and the mask becomes visible. Double click on the channel and a window comes up where you can adjust the opacity of the mask. You can the paint with mask on where adjustments are needed. Then just click the eye icon again to turn the mask off.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!! THIS IS THE THING I NEEEDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never thought about the quick mask mode, and how color affects my perception.

This really helps!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I've got now, and it's so much easier to live with. It's a mask, an overlay and the actual drawing.

Refine mask does help, but it's non editable, so I have to turn off the view, then go to the mask fix it, then turn on the view again... Any way to toggle this without making additional layers?

P.S. Tony W, I' sorry if I come across as arrogant, I was just desperate for an answer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen-shot-2013-08-20-at-3.26.jpg (48.0 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by skoobey; 08-20-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Patron

Skoobey fair enough explanation sometimes we do get desperate for a quick fix

As to the refine mask options have you watched the link I posted by Russel Brown Photoshop guru and particularly the painting back of detail while still viewing your applied background. The mask is editable by using his method so not sure why you think it is not. It can do a very good job and potentially save you the tiresome chore of doing it by hand, but of course your own image could well dictate having to take another route
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Needham View Post
I think I get what skoobey is driving at. I create a mask for some fine blonde hairs on a light grey background, of course when I place it on a dark grey background it still looks like a fabulous mask, but when I select a light blue the mask reveals a dogs dinner of a mask. How can I tell before it will be a convincing mask for all colours?

(I think perhaps this was OP point?)
@ Tony W, yes I am aware of refine mask, but it doesn't do all the work, it's mostly useful for compositing, as well as clipping people and furry things like animals, coats, caps, hats and other things.

Last edited by skoobey; 08-20-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2013, 09:15 AM

I hope you'll post a before and after patch of the result Skoobey! Hair drives me nuts and I nearly always end up having to hand paint strands.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2013, 09:25 AM

Um... it was arm hair , not under-arm luckily, but still. I'll ask a client, then post it haha, it's still pretty funny.

I would've shot it on f16-22 to avoid the focus drop-off, but for some reason they left me to deal with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
You guys are so off, I can't even start explaining.

I'm asking a bout a method other then pressing the "\" key to see the mask over the image???

Oh, please God, if I could explain this any better I would.

Quote:
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!! THIS IS THE THING I NEEEDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never thought about the quick mask mode, and how color affects my perception.

This really helps!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I've got now, and it's so much easier to live with. It's a mask, an overlay and the actual drawing.

Refine mask does help, but it's non editable, so I have to turn off the view, then go to the mask fix it, then turn on the view again... Any way to toggle this without making additional layers?

P.S. Tony W, I' sorry if I come across as arrogant, I was just desperate for an answer.
What am I missing?

I don't get how you went from appalled at "pressing the "\" key to see the mask over the image".

To thrilled about turning on the layer mask eyeball.

They're the same thing. Watch the eyeball turn on and off as you hit the "\" key.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2013, 06:55 AM

I don't get the "/" thing. On a Mac it locks the layer. Perhaps people should post what system they are working with to make things clearer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2013, 07:18 AM

Hehe ups. the "\" thing, I' m on a Mac also, and it gives you a view of the mask channel, as you probably already know.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching