RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Checking precision of your mask? How???

Old 08-13-2013, 01:17 PM

Talking Checking precision of your mask? How???

Okay, so ,we all know what masks are for etc... but...

I was wondering what techniques do you use(or have heard of) that help check whether the mask is precise enough.

For example, if you use the pen tool to select an arm, and then apply a curve to that selection, you don't want any spills on the backdrop.

And, yes you can just use the smudge tool and blur to refine the edge a bit, but I was wondering if there is a way to actually go into some view and check how well the mask is covering the area???

I know that you can press "\" and go into quck mask-ish view, but what else can be used to do this?

I'm sort of sick of refining my masks (and not only path-dervied masks) over and over again, just because it didn't seem off when I was applying one adjustment, but it is quite obvious when I'm applying another.
?

P.S. Some of you will find this question to be moronic, but I really have no idea and Google hasn't been helpful.

EDIT: Is there a preview method to check how accurate your mask is in relation to the image bellow?

Last edited by skoobey; 08-13-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Patron

Re: Checking precision of your mask? How???

Not sure I understand your post correctly but when you have made a mask say using the pen tool then apply the path as a mask to a curves layer the only thing that will be affected is the area within the mask it should not spill outside of the defined area.

But if you elect to make another adjustment, say a HSL layer you must make sure that the mask is used again on that adjustment layer to restrict the effect to the masked area

The same applies to any mask you produce using whatever method e.g. polygon selection etc.

If you then look in Properties/Mask you can click on Mask Edge button which will bring you to the Refine Edge menu where there are many options to refine your mask
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2013, 03:16 PM

I just knew there would be answers like this. Hahahaahah

Well, thank you for that answer, but what I was actually refering to is:

I made a selection with a pen tool, and it is too hard, I can't just feather it, as there are way to many in and out of focus hairs on the arm.

I want to darken the background, but I don't want to darken all the hairs outside the skin covered area.

I path out the skin, smudge to cover larger hairs, BAM looks perfect.

Now the client asks to do another tone and color. It no longer looks as good.

How do I make sure my initial mask is as good as it appeared on the first adjustment?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2013, 03:32 PM

I use an airbrush on 'organic' objects where edge focus drops in and out as I like to feather the pressure to suit the coverage required. Geometric shapes I draw with zero feather and save as a selection. Using modify I then apply feather to match the focus and if necessary use contract or expand to adjust the tightness of the fit. I make a 100's of multipart comps a year using, often disparate, source material and find that if I place a cut out object on to a new background a 1 pixel feather edge is a good start point. If that is too soft I will load it's selection e.g. "load 1 transparency" and hit delete. This will shave a whisker off the edge and will remove those fine yet significant halos. You can load the selection again and feather it maybe 2 pixels and with a soft brush tease out a few more pixels from critical areas. It is so case sensitive you can't cover every scenario here. As a quick check for holes in the mask I just momentarily switch off the RGB or CMYK channel view leaving just a black silhouette of the mask shape on screen. When certain saturated colours abut it can be tricky to change one without colour spill contaminating the other, especially on soft focus edges. Often a bit of hand work with a 'wash' of the target colour will cure this or you can cut and paste the outer edge of the good colour/texture over the rogue colour. There is always a way!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
I just knew there would be answers like this. Hahahaahah

Well, thank you for that answer, but what I was actually refering to is:
And HaHaHa right back at ya!! It looked like you were having some problems with masking from your last post #10 Here therefore this particular reply.

Perhaps next time you will give some thought to what you need to say including a description of the particular issue you are experiencing as you did in your second post
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2013, 07:38 PM

Talking Re: Checking precision of your mask? How???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
And HaHaHa right back at ya!! It looked like you were having some problems with masking from your last post #10 Here therefore this particular reply.

Perhaps next time you will give some thought to what you need to say including a description of the particular issue you are experiencing as you did in your second post
Good call. Actually, I just lassoed that bird

I suppose I was so eager to find the answer, I forgot to ask the actual question.

@Reapirman

Great tips, I think I use many of the things jsut the way you explained them, except that I use pen pressure instead of airbrush.

I guess there really isn't a preview method to check how accurate your mask is in relation to the image bellow? Image is the preview?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2013, 12:09 AM

Also not sure what you're after exactly, but maybe this trick will help:

1. Go to Window/Arrange and click "New Window for..." at the bottom of the list. You now have two windows of the same immage.

2. Arrange those windows as desired (tile vertical/horizontal) and match zoom.

3. Select one of the windows, target your mask layer and paint/smudge/blur away. You can see the mask in one window and the image with changes in the other window.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2013, 08:11 PM

You guys are so off, I can't even start explaining.

I'm asking a bout a method other then pressing the "\" key to see the mask over the image???

Oh, please God, if I could explain this any better I would.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2013, 10:57 PM

Not sure what version of PS you have, but for later versions, have you tried the Refine Mask > View Mode?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2013, 02:41 AM

I think I get what skoobey is driving at. I create a mask for some fine blonde hairs on a light grey background, of course when I place it on a dark grey background it still looks like a fabulous mask, but when I select a light blue the mask reveals a dogs dinner of a mask. How can I tell before it will be a convincing mask for all colours?

(I think perhaps this was OP point?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hair.jpg (87.5 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching