Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Paintbox and Sci-tex info

Old 08-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Re: Paintbox and Sci-tex info

Photopaque! that was it. Load it into a ruling pen and away you go. Had that on my sleeves a few times along with letraset and cow gum. Polishing turds; I like that. I'm not qualified to answer photo based questions but I am surprised at the number of questions relating to copying other peoples style. Often as not they are just bloody good photos, well composed and lit and beyond the ken of the o.p! Not really something you can teach in a forum thread.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2013, 12:18 PM

Ruling pen that was what I was looking for and could only come up with graphic pen!

Photopaque only on your sleeve, you were lucky can you imagine being unlucky enough to actually sit in a pool of it without any knowledge and then waiting for and getting on the bus home and wondering why the nudges and smirks . Cow gum and letraset the good ole days!

Although hearing the saying before 'polishing turds' credit should be given to Andrew Rodney who first brought it to my notice in a photographic context.

Often as not they are just bloody good photos, well composed and lit and beyond the ken of the o.p! Not really something you can teach in a forum thread.
+1 and anyway I would have to charge for teaching
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2013, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by rl-retouch View Post

As for 3D, I'm learning the basics through Blender (latest versions are improving hugely) as no way can I afford 3ds maxx, cinema 4d, lightwave etc just to learn the ropes. I'm not sure of the affect this will have on retouching though, image manipulation maybe but straight photo retouching?

Out of curiosity are you two starting to work with 3D in anticipation of its impending explosion?
I'm not. I've pretty much given up on the thought of it at this point, because I'm near the end of my career, and 3D takes time. I'll stick with beauty and some product as a speciality. There will always be beauty.

3D is best learned on a company's dime and time, which means you'll have to get lucky and find an employer who likes you and will pay for your training and be patient, because, from what I've heard, it's hard. It's also best learned in a collaborative environment between the engineers who design on CAD and the 3D artist, effectively eliminating the photographer. That means a good manager handling everything, and they're as rare as flamingos in Maine. I'm so close to a situation where it could all come together, but, I watch from the sidelines as it is so poorly mishandled. Sigh. Ten years ago I was shown a synthetic Lexus in a real time ad, and my bosses can't figure out simple appliances, and we're the manufacturer.
As usual, there's probably some Chinese kid who is pretty good at it, and will have my bosses job in ten years. And, of course, somebody will be whining that they didn't see that one coming.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching