RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

D&B - How to get the color of the skin even?

Old 09-16-2013, 02:52 PM

D&B - How to get the color of the skin even?

Hi, i'm pretty new in retouching (2 months). I need some advices about Dodging and Burning.
My method is the 50% grey layer. To compensate the (de)saturation, I use Selective Color. It works well,but is there a way to match perfectly the color of the skin?Use channels?

At this moment, i'm struggling on this picture. The colors on the skin is not even.But it's not the fault of the D&B. I try to paint with a similar color on a color layer but it looks weird.

The second problem is the texture on the chin. What should i do D&B more? Use the clone stamp?

Well guys, if you have some tips, you're welcome

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ts2qficm62...ctice1_raw.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/apn3sff8fj...ice1_clean.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2013, 09:32 PM

Re: D&B - How to get the color of the skin even?

go to conraddigital.com/tutorials and take a look at my dodge and burn techniques compared video. you did a nice job removing the blemishes, but good skin is multilayered. First "spotting" which is what you did, selective smoothing and then d&b to finish. When that's done you can correct the color

-conrad
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2013, 05:19 AM

Thanks Conrad, I appreciate your reply. I like very much your work. I know your prefer usin d&b with curves. I never tried, for me it's less natural than using the X button to switch color. I ll rent your tutorials for the color management. For the smoothing, do you use the method with the High pass layer? And you use it slightly and locally, isn't it?
I' m amateur photographer and my goal is to get the Gavin O'neill's look. Especially for the skin.
How long does it take for you to clean a skin perfectly? Because it's really time consuming...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2013, 12:30 PM

I agree with Conrad that you have to get the skin finished before worrying about fixing the color in the image. I think like many things out there, there is always a bunch of different ways to do one thing and there is no one "right" way of doing it, I think it just depends on what you are used to and how your work flow is. For me I always have two passes of dodge and burn. The first is a layer set to soft light and I paint with black and white to carve a generic shape of the face this using a Opacity of 5%. Than I use another layer set to soft light but this time I use flow set to 2% and I use this layer to define areas of the face such as the nose,lips,eyes,cheek bones,ect.

As for fixing blotchy colors that will come from doing such I have always found the selective color adjustment layer to work wonders, if you play around with the Reds you can even out skin color nicely.

The above all thing is though that it takes alot of time and alot of practice to achieve good results. You can accept at times to work on skin for 2 hours, it just all depends on the model and how they were lit at the time of the shoot.

Hope this helps a little.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2013, 05:38 AM

Thanks for the reply, I understand much better the workflow.

And I found the answer to my real question thanks to Der_W and his tutorial about supporting layers. Really helpfull. I can fix the hue and saturation really easily now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2013, 04:11 PM

Great video to compare the two methods.

One way of combatting the color shift in the overlay mode is to actually not dodge with white, but a slight off-white. As mentioned, there are multitude of solutions all with their own quirks.

My variation of the technique is a 50% gray layer in soft light mode. Then brush at 20%/5%, and I sample the color in an area near where I work. I keep the color window in HSB mode and then change the sample color to about 95% brightness (usually more than sample), and depending on the severity and color to anywhere between 5% - 10% saturation (usually less than sample). Doing this just slight off-white dodge seems to be enough to protect against the discoloration.

There is some extra aspect which I haven't researched fully yet, how the result changes by doing this with the sampled color vs. it's compliment. This could come in handy when working on areas that are discolored already anyway.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2013, 10:25 PM

My steps are pretty straight forward... I spot the skin first removing obvious issues, then deal with larger issues like creases and larger wrinkles. Once that's done, stage 3 is usually the dodging and burning process. that's where I spend a great deal of time examining all of the skin for "cloudiness". Once I have her smooth and natural I deal with color. The ONLY time I'll use a high pass layer is if I have to blow a small part out because it's either too hairy or too damaged and then replace with the high pass
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2013, 05:52 AM

Hey Charlie, great image to practice on. I had a go on it myself. My techniques were:
1. Curves for overall image colour balance and brightness
2. Healing brush for general spot removal, wrinkles..etc.
3. Dodging and burning with 2 curves layers one lighter and one darker being enhanced by using channel mixer and contrast layer to bring out the uneven patches even more and a very small brush.
4. Contouring using dodge and burn layers again but with a very lagre brush.
5. Selective colouring for the eyeshadow & lips, evening out colour and contrast.
6. Copy red channel twice and pasting both layers on the image one inverted and one normal and playing around further evening out skin tones and contrast.
7. Sharpening and save.

Here are my before and afters: http://postimg.org/image/t170ck3w7/
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Patron

You have done a very nice job on this image. Such a good job that the peach fuzz under the lower lip is a bit of a distraction to the eye. These fine hairs are usually tough to get rid of because conventional cloning / healing has some challenges and degrunging is a blurring technique which is usually noticeable in the result. However, I have a very effective way to remove it. The method involves separating the image into a layer which contains texture with no color and another layer which contains color only. I=Once isolated, the texture can be cloned over with texture from anywhere else in the image.
Below is a low res result.
Cheers, Murray
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/b95...exjc78rb6g.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbenjamin View Post
Hey Charlie, great image to practice on. I had a go on it myself. My techniques were:
1. Curves for overall image colour balance and brightness
2. Healing brush for general spot removal, wrinkles..etc.
3. Dodging and burning with 2 curves layers one lighter and one darker being enhanced by using channel mixer and contrast layer to bring out the uneven patches even more and a very small brush.
4. Contouring using dodge and burn layers again but with a very lagre brush.
5. Selective colouring for the eyeshadow & lips, evening out colour and contrast.
6. Copy red channel twice and pasting both layers on the image one inverted and one normal and playing around further evening out skin tones and contrast.
7. Sharpening and save.

Here are my before and afters: http://postimg.org/image/t170ck3w7/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charlie R RP d&b_practice1_raw MM Peach Fuzz2.jpg (175.7 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by mistermonday; 10-23-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2013, 09:39 AM

To be honest the peach fuzz didn't bother me, but had it i would have removed it with the healing brush seeing as the original image was of sufficient resolution.

I know the technique you are referring to called frequency seperation. I have used it on occasion but overall i prefer D&B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
You have done a very nice job on this image. Such a good job that the peach fuzz under the lower lip is a bit of a distraction to the eye. These fine hairs are usually tough to get rid of because conventional cloning / healing has some challenges and degrunging is a blurring technique which is usually noticeable in the result. However, I have a very effective way to remove it. The method involves separating the image into a layer which contains texture with no color and another layer which contains color only. I=Once isolated, the texture can be cloned over with texture from anywhere else in the image.
Below is a low res result as well as a link to a zipped .psd file containing the Smart Object.
Cheers, Murray
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/b95...exjc78rb6g.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zu...ce1_raw_MM.zip
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching