RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to achieve twilight look _archectectural

Old 09-26-2013, 09:17 AM

How to achieve twilight look _archectectural

Blue light outside , well balanced but low key inside. No reflections in the windows. I'm sure it's two exposures and the window is painstakingly deleted.
So. it appears that you would patiently wait until the light outside is just right and make one exposure for the inside and do another without any interiors lights at all and combine the two in post. But how the hell do you do more than one shot a a night? Every client I ever had always wants multiple angles. Onw shot , one night . That's doesn't seem plausible.

How does he get his light fixtures so white? Steve Rossi , really talented guy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg night.jpg (80.2 KB, 169 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Patron

Re: How to achieve twilight look _archectectural

I would bet 99% this is an HDR image. The gray ceiling is very typical of what happens to a white ceiling when Tonal Inversion control in the HDR software is cranked up fairly high.
The process involves setting your camera on a tripod and taking a set of bracketed exposures -3ev, -2ev, -1ev, 0ev, +1ev, +2ev, +3ev or some variant. The source images are then merged and tonemapped with a special HDR program such as Photomatix, Nik HDR, PhotoEngine, or more than a dozen other HDR programs.
Cheers, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2013, 05:28 AM

Totally agree. HDR.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2013, 06:32 PM

If it is HDR , it's the best I've ever seen . Why can't we see any hint of bounce light or umbrella in the window glass? How does HDR make the outside light so blue?

I really take my hat off to this guy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2013, 09:44 PM

A lot of the lighting of the shot comes from the genuine interior lighting, which you do see reflected in the windows. If those bulbs are incandescent (likely) they are warm, and when you neutralize them (add blue) it cools the sky further, which is already blue from the twilight.

The additional lighting, like on the kitchen cabinetry, is placed low, beneath counter-top level, so the cabinetry itself Gobo's them (blocks them) from reflecting in the windows.

The key is, you don't use big broad umbrellas and bank lights for this style of work, you use small tungsten spot lights, or even $10 clip-on lamps with scoop reflectors, and keep them low and/or behind furniture, precisely to keep them from reflecting in windows.

There may be a bunch of photoshop wizardry going on here, but good clean architectural photography dates back a lot further than PS.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Knipl View Post
If it is HDR , it's the best I've ever seen . Why can't we see any hint of bounce light or umbrella in the window glass? How does HDR make the outside light so blue?

I really take my hat off to this guy.
It is interesting that of all of his gallery of interior photos you chose this one. I think it is not very good and not representative of most of his work. The white ceilings are grungy gray due to excessive tonal inversion. There are tools in the s/w to reverse what happens to white surfaces. It just looks unnatural.
BTW, if you do no6t have permission to use his image you need to post a link to it rather than including it as an attachment to your OP.
Cheers, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching