RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Adding contrast

Old 10-08-2013, 12:05 PM

Adding contrast

This is an old Kodak PCD image of a stained glass window converted to a TIF and a small portion made into a JPG for the purpose of this illustration. I would like to make 2 corrections:

1) I would like to accentuate the brush marks in the face. From my humble notions of PS I know that pulling the contrast slider across isn't really the answer but something like finding the fainter, darker pixels and accentuating them with some kind of mask is more the way to go.

2) There is an outdoor shadow that runs up the left hand side of the image which I would like to eliminate.

Any help or clues would be gratefully welcomed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG0014-cs.jpg (67.2 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Patron

Re: Adding contrast

Difficult to discern what constitutes brush marks vs artefacts in this particular image example.

One way you could experiment to accentuate brush marks is with sharpening try both a low radius and adjust the amount to taste (this is my example) or experiment with a high radius low amount (Hiraloam). You will probably want to mask the face only and further refine around the black edges where there are halos (can be seen on the original as well)

Simple method to get rid of the edge shadow is to divide the areas red an yellow into two seperate curve layers masking each and sampling the red area and adjust the RGB to match then similar with the yellow area. Think the right side of the yellow area may need a little more attention! If your mask is not dead precise just touch up an lines using clone or patch tool.

Click on attachment and wait a few seconds for changes
Attached Images
File Type: gif stained-glass.gif (175.5 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Difficult to discern what constitutes brush marks vs artefacts in this particular image example.

Simple method to get rid of the edge shadow is to divide the areas red an yellow into two seperate curve layers masking each and sampling the red area and adjust the RGB to match then similar with the yellow area. Think the right side of the yellow area may need a little more attention! If your mask is not dead precise just touch up an lines using clone or patch tool.

Click on attachment and wait a few seconds for changes
Many thanks. The accentuation part I understand ok and have begun experimenting but am a bit lost on "dividing the areas red an yellow into two seperate curve layers masking each and sampling the red area and adjust the RGB to match then similar with the yellow area". Please could you elaborate...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Patron

If you make a selection first of the dark red area with the shadow and add a curves layer the selection area will be added as a mask to the curves layer and only this area (white) will be affected by your moves.

Do the same and select the dark yellow areas and add a curves layer

Now place a color sampler in the dark red area and one in the area you want to match. If you look in the info panel you will see RGB values shown next as #1 and #2.

Place colour samplers in the dark yellow and the area to match you will see further RGB values next to #3 and #4 towards the bottom of the info palette (assume you are using PS!)

Now you need to move the individual RGB values by manipulating the Curve layers to match the numbers shown for the 'good' colour in the info panel e.g. your values for the colour you want may read R97 G42, B31.

These are the numbers that you will need to be looking at while adjusting the RGB curves just try clicking the curve and moving either up or down while watching the numbers. It is possible that you may also need to nudge the RGB value in the curves dialogue to slightly lighten or darken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2013, 04:35 PM

I used Topaz Detail. Probably a bit overcooked, ie, strong halos that you may or may not wish to deal with, but it draws out the grunge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RTP_Frereroy.jpg (94.5 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
If you make a selection first of the dark red area with the shadow and add a curves layer the selection area will be added as a mask to the curves layer and only this area (white) will be affected by your moves.
A great tutorial - many thanks indeed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
I used Topaz Detail. Probably a bit overcooked, ie, strong halos that you may or may not wish to deal with, but it draws out the grunge.
Thanks for the input, I will look in to Topaz...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching