Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

getting this commercial landscape look?

Old 11-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Re: getting this commercial landscape look?

bbvds... you can get very a very similar look by finding a similar original [Overcast day] and doing some desaturation. You can do it overall- many of these images seem to have a slight blue cast to them - or selectively. In Adjust/hue/Saturation you can desaturate the channels (master, red, green, etc.) individually and with different amounts. One of these is desaturated fully, and then selectively color correcting for a blue tint. The other I desatuarated all but the yellow and red channel. I have noted, by looking at the gallery of pictures that you reference, the photo's exposures are longer than usual. That is apparent in many of the shots (stream water doesn't have rivlets and torrents - very smooth - like a drag capture) I believe this very much adds to the misty, dreamy look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COAST.jpg (70.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg COASTGREEN.jpg (63.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg COASTDESAT.jpg (62.3 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by daygraphics; 11-03-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Add Image
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2013, 12:22 AM

People are right on with the saturation comments and references. I see some amount of color correction that may have been applied at a regional level. These are mostly overcast shots, which leads me to believe that certain things wouldn't have come from the camera that way. In the first one the building on the left has a lot of detail and a fair amount of saturation, yet it's quite dark. I suspect it was deepened to extend the contrast range of the shot. The weather suggests a high humidity level, which would give you a bit more haze toward the background portions due atmospheric reflections. The light house seems a bit too sharp too, so I think they did some work there. Otherwise you would have that overall cast that builds up as you go further and further out due to what I mentioned. Basically moisture in the air reflects the blue of the sky. The sky itself is blue due to the wavelengths that are refracted in a negative direction (refracted). Anyway you can actually create a lot of interesting implications regarding distance just by adjusting the appearance of haze. When everything appears with extreme clarity, it tends to feel somewhat surreal, as that isn't how we view it from day to day.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2013, 02:44 PM

I tried a few things on my end, and I think I got kinda close-ish. The photos you referred to have a more blue tint to them now that I'm looking again but I'm too lazy to go back and change it... but anyway if you want to know what I did for this one just let me know and I'll put it in here, just don't wanna go through the hassle of typing it if I'm off the mark haha

The original is here:

and I grabbed some extra clouds here:

**edit: I had to compress it a bunch so it looks all messed up (and I overdid it with the high pass ehhhh) but anyway I just posted it on my page so you can get a better idea:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golden_fearns_by_burtn-d2zx3eg 2.jpg (98.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg dark cloudy test 2.jpg (99.2 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by DaIllestBeast; 11-08-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2013, 03:15 AM

I think you are close, looks good Do you have the psd?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2013, 12:05 AM

I still have the PSD but I've already merged most of the layers :/ My computer isn't very good so I can't keep all my layers open for long. Here is what I did though:

1- Decreased saturation quite a bit
2- Changed levels a tad
3- Adjusted curves: dropped reds and greens and increased blues (not too much at this stage)
4- Copied all the layers to a new one, adjusted layer to black and white, set to darken and adjusted to bring the colors back in
5- Copied all the layers to a new one again, did gradient map with a purple/blue scheme (this is probably a main part where I went wrong I should have stuck to darker blues) set to hard light and adjusted opacity again
6- I did a very slight colouring with a large soft brush set to 5 opacity and 20 flow in black to darken certain areas of the picture
7- New layer with black again but set layer to color to desaturate parts of the image that needed it
8- Another new layer with a small soft white brush to fog up the background a bit
9- Copy everything to a new layer again, add in the clouds from the other pic with an overlay, masked the layer and used a gradient on the mask to have it apply itself gradually
10- High pass filter to sharpen the details (I wouldn't do this for the look you're going for though because they're not very sharp, or I would add a mask to it to only sharpen certain areas of the image)

I hope that all makes sense... let me know if you have questions
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2013, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the detailed walkthrough. I´ll post my attempt as soon as i get time to play around with my images
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2013, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by bbvds View Post

i've been reading this forum (which is a goldmine btw but still haven't been able to find what i'd love to learn or how to achieve it

all pictures are done and retouched by a great guy Loïc Lequere

could you help me out with a routine to get this kind of commercial look seen in car pictures? lab mode retouch? how does it get such a perfect look?

thanks a lot in advance!
Photography is about communication. I'm giving the photographer whose photos you posted the the benefit of the doubt in that they were presenting the photographs in a way that best communicated what they felt about what they saw and felt and experienced. If the photographer whose photos you used as an example applied the same formula or adjustment steps to all their photos I would seriously question their intent - is it about what they really wished to convey, or more "look what I can do"?
Your reactions, feelings, emotions about being in even the same place at the same time will most likely be different - you're someone else, and that's a good thing. Tap into who you are and what you want to say. Is it about the feeling of the detail, about the light and the air, about the memories and/or emotions it evokes, or all of those? Figure out the best way to do that. There are many great people here that would be willing to guide you in how to achieve that. These are just some things to consider. The suggestions posted here are solid to help achieve what the photographer you noted did, and I am sure they will be useful in your endeavor. There are no bad questions or answers here, or absolutes, just ideas that will hopefully bring you closer to your goal. Good luck and have fun fun fun!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching