RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Is a plugin a sin?

Old 11-15-2013, 09:55 AM

Smile Re: Is a plugin a sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pics2 View Post
But, Martin, this is the wrong place to fave actions. It's like opening thread about Nikon on Canon's forum.
I wasn't implying or suggesting people use actions or plugins, i was simply wondering if part of the secret of retouching could infact use one of these as a time-saver. Like i said there was a risk of upsetting the pro's but that wasn't my intention.

Thanks everyone for replying though, i'll stick with the proper method of retouching and if i do find any little time savers or new methods i'll be sure to share them!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2013, 12:03 PM

Re: Is a plugin a sin?

The photographers have their purists as well; many eschew strobes or staged lighting, preferring only "available light" -- meaning only the light that already exists. But the legendary photojournalist, W. Eugene Smith, retorted "Available light is any damn light that is available! " Meaning, he'd use whatever tools were at his disposal to get the shot he wanted.

I say use whatever "damn" PS tools give you the effect you desire, be they plugins, actions, etc.

The only downside is that if you start retouching outside of your personalised machine you may find you're lost without those devices. If you do buy the actions be sure to decode what they're doing by running them step-by-step from the action pallet so you know how to recreate their effect on your own. Then you have the best of both worlds, the convenience of their use and the understanding of how they work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin B View Post
I wasn't implying or suggesting people use actions or plugins, i was simply wondering if part of the secret of retouching could infact use one of these as a time-saver. Like i said there was a risk of upsetting the pro's but that wasn't my intention.
I know you weren't, don't worry. And this is an interesting topic, thanks for starting it. By the way, welcome to RetouchPro!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pics2 View Post
By the way, welcome to RetouchPro!
Thanks man, loadsa knowledge on here!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2013, 04:57 PM

You're getting caught by something that is common amongst younger photographers. That is you're used to making adjustments from an abstract level. Set up lights, set up reflectors, etc. When it comes to sitting in photoshop where you are essentially painting on a canvas, it is not the same. I looked at the site. The plugin smoothed certain things out to a minor degree through different types of averaging and increased the contrast slightly by bringing out highlights. The reason that looks good to you is that you assume they should all be averaged to some degree when that isn't necessarily the case. It should be surgical, and typically you would pick out the things that are jumping out as problematic.

It's also important to point out that 8 hours is a very long time. It sounds like you don't know where you're going with it, and you were sucked into more bad habits, such as zooming in too far. Try not to go past 100%. It's forgivable when drawing a path. The rest of the time it's not generally necessary. If you're using a small tablet, that can be more difficult. In that case I would macro something like 100% and 200%, then map them to keys. You should not be in way too far. The steadiness of your hand should be what provides precision, which is why some drawing ability helps.

Last thing, if a plugin can do something in a few minutes that takes you a few hours, who would really pay you to do that? I did test a few of them some time ago to see what they did. None of them would have saved me any time, including that one judging by the site examples.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2013, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
It's also important to point out that 8 hours is a very long time. It sounds like you don't know where you're going with it, and you were sucked into more bad habits, such as zooming in too far. Try not to go past 100%. It's forgivable when drawing a path. The rest of the time it's not generally necessary. If you're using a small tablet, that can be more difficult.
I think the 8 hr retouch time is a combo of inexperience, working with a bamboo tablet as you say and NOT KNOWING WHEN ENOUGH IS ENOUGH lol. Also, yes i do zoom in at more than 100% to dodge the pores. I take it this isn't all that necessary then?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin B View Post
I think the 8 hr retouch time is a combo of inexperience, working with a bamboo tablet as you say and NOT KNOWING WHEN ENOUGH IS ENOUGH lol. Also, yes i do zoom in at more than 100% to dodge the pores. I take it this isn't all that necessary then?
I figured it might be an issue of tablet size. I use a large and map it to a subset of the total screen area, just to make the mapping more comfortable. I can appreciate how jumpy that must be. That's why I suggested macroing different zoom ranges to keys. That way you can check constantly to make sure you know what you're altering. The ideal solution is a good mapping ratio, a steady hand, and around 100% zoom when it comes to smoothing stuff out. It gets easier if you learn to pay attention to the content, and recognize specific forms. I don't go past 100% to deal with pores, because it's not necessary. As I said I use a much larger tablet. I can go into more detail if you like, but I think you would learn much more studying images that you like, preferably published and taking note of details. You really won't learn anything just zoomed into 300% all the time. The small tablet makes it hard to work at normal zoom ranges, which is why I mentioned macro keys.

At some point you'll find that such plugins would remove very little time from an image that requires an hour or more normally. I think they're aimed at guys that shoot weddings and stuff like that where they have to edit a huge number of images in a day on little budget.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2013, 05:09 AM

Thanks for the info Klev, I'm sure it will save time when i apply it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2013, 08:44 AM
Patron

"Portrait Professional" is an excellent software programme, for skin retouching, can be used as a stand alone programme, or as a plugin for photoshop
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2013, 03:40 PM

"Portrait Professional" is a misnomer. It's not for retouchers - it's for people who are not retouchers.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching