RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Reflection removal in automobiles.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:45 AM

Re: Reflection removal in automobiles.

The good thing about the VW is that all the visual clues are in the original. ie you can work straight over the top by 1) using your pen curves or polygonal lasso to trace the panel edges and 2) there are enough 'witness' hilites/shads that describe the form. How you procede depends on your talent with an airbrush - I use a large tablet and can get a nice sweep with the airbrush that intuitively follows the curves of the panels. For a larger panel I would make a very soft edged ellipse or circle (depends on the target shape) in both a darker and lighter tone than the proposed flat colour of the vehicle. These dark or light shapes (masked by the selection) would be placed so the feathered curved edge corresponds with the current panel hilites/shads. Dang, I have to go my car is on a meter!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2013, 10:50 AM

Not much to say, all was told. I usually just select all the parts, and brush. It's like redrawing all from zero trying to be as much as realistic possible keeping in mind the depth and light direction.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2013, 08:13 PM

As far as changing the color, Jim DeVitale came up with a method for changing color called the .com method. There are three layers of color, each one set to color, overlay, and multiply blend modes respectively. Then the opacity is adjusted to get the proper look. Back in the late 70's when I was working in a photo processing lab, the guys from Detroit would bring their 8X10 chromes to our lab when they were doing a shoot on the West coast. Man those were amazing images!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2013, 07:12 AM

Thanks for sharing this csuebele. Interesting, never heard about this .com method. Can un explain better which is the correct way to use it?

Last edited by Isedo; 12-21-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2013, 08:10 AM

To do the .com color replacement method, isolate the area you want to change the color and put it on a new layer. Then desaturate the layer so you just have a gray scale image. Here you can either lock the transparency, duplicate the layer, and fill with the color you want, or you can use a solid color adjustment layer clipped to that layer. Change this layer's blend mode to color at 50% opacity. Duplicate the color layer and set the blend to overlay at 50% opacity. Duplicate the overlay layer and set the blend mode to multiply at 50% opacity. Insert a curves of levels adjustment layer between the grayscale layer and the color blend layer. Use this to adjust the luminosity of the color by either setting it to screen or multiply blend mode. It might take some some to tweak the opacity of all the layers to get exactly what you want.

Dan Margulis also has a good method for replacing color using L*A*B* and Pantone values.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2013, 11:27 AM

Thanks! So its just for changing color...thats why it was new to me, I thought there were something about the starting question in this thread. I used to use this technique in the way to change the color of white cars.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2013, 11:37 AM

Yes, just for changing color.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching