RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Stuck in retouching.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:53 AM

Re: Stuck in retouching.

Thank's voidsource, RobertGarcia, eraanexact and skoobey for replies. It's great to get opinions of pros. First of all I will watch Tim Sexton videos.

Skin retouch? I use Spilt and healing brush tool on HP for basic cleaning and next I use D&B to organize shadows and highlights. Recently I noticed that D&B soften the skin and it's easy to overuse (doing plastic look)... Is there any more Hi-end technique? voidsource maybe your video example will be better? (I didn't watch it so far)

Do you know any interesting videos to get more information about chanels and using it to protect textures?

Last edited by szeryf1989; 12-25-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2013, 12:24 PM

i think people are focusing much on what the end result is on that video when the idea was to show how u can get rid of issues known while doing D&B. I dont know if anyone actually saw the entire video as it will show u what my focus is on it.
Everything is good with moderation. D&B is good but doing it by strokes can be a real pain in the ass. Hence the video that gives u an inside as to how to do it faster. Frequency splits are probably the best method as skin retouching goes. I dont see or have seen anything else that can as good as that and that is used more constantly than that.

szeryf1989, i think if u watch that video ( yes i know its long and it might get boring ) but if u watch it in its full without forwarding u will know why the guy does it like so. In the end he gets really good results, as far as plastic looking goes i think he might have gone a bit too far but it also depends on the persons point of view. Ive seen d&B overused to the point where u loose texture on it and then people 'make' texture using noise, which to me is like u could have avoided that if u did a fq split.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidsource View Post
Ive seen d&B overused to the point where u loose texture on it and then people 'make' texture using noise, which to me is like u could have avoided that if u did a fq split.
That's incorrect. The reason is that you could remove texture no matter how you split them up. All it requires is that one layer exerts enough influence to cause details to blend in. It's not difficult to prove. The real way to deal with this would be to pay attention to what you're doing, not rely on the software to make the right decision.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2013, 01:08 AM

im not talking about software though im talking about using a layer for ur d&b.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidsource View Post
im not talking about software though im talking about using a layer for ur d&b.
You'll find that if you post on a forum, there's an enormous spectrum of comprehension within a given topic. What you stated would suggest to many of them that the use of a burn and dodge layer solves the problem of overdoing the work. It doesn't. You can always overdo it regardless of layers. I don't care if you think what is often (somewhat incorrectly) referred to as split frequency prevents this. It doesn't, because it's entirely possible to effectively generate the inverse of the texture on one layer or the other. If you want to avoid overdoing something, you are better served by learning to better analyze the image. That way you don't lose time on work that will be immediately backed off.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching