RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

how do you open MOS files?

Old 12-29-2013, 10:50 AM

how do you open MOS files?

Does anyone know how to open MOS files not using Capture One? MOS files won't open in CC camera raw for me. Under get info it says that it is a Leaf RAW image.
I had a free trial to Capture One, but it expired and I am not eager to purchase it.
Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Patron

Re: how do you open MOS files?

I think the problem may be due to the MOS files being compressed as I understand that Photoshop can manage these raw files but needs to work on uncompressed data.

Failing access to Capture One again to resave as uncompressed I wonder if you could convert a copy to DNG format using the Adobe converter this should give you a linear raw type image you can work with
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=5645

The only other thing I can think of is a file conversion utility there are a few but I suspect you will have limited choices of format. http://www.contenta-converter.com/en...ervice=convert
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2013, 01:29 PM

try raw therapee, is free
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2013, 02:22 PM

What back/body shot these? They're either from a really old one or one that is not yet supported. Anyway download Leaf Capture. I haven't used it in years, but it should still have raw processing. I'll warn you it's not as elegant as some of the other solutions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2013, 03:23 PM

Under get info it says it was shot by a Leaf Aptus 75 large format camera.

Thanks everyone for your help. Tony, I downloaded the Adobe Digital Negative Converter, but it doesn't seem to work for these MOS files as the files appear greyed out when I try to select one. It doesn't appear that the free version of contenta converter and raw therapee allow conversion to DNG format so I can do my processing in camera raw. Klev, I downloaded the Leaf Raw Converter but the app won't open. I am getting a message that the Leaf Raw Converter can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Nothing is easy. I wish that Adobe camera raw recognized compressed MOS files.

Last edited by Caravaggio; 12-29-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
Under get info it says it was shot by a Leaf Aptus 75 large format camera.

Thanks everyone for your help. Tony, I downloaded the Adobe Digital Negative Converter, but it doesn't seem to work for these MOS files as the files appear greyed out when I try to select one. ...
You cannot select one file in Adobe DNG converter AFAIK. But you could put a single image in a folder first

The files for conversion all need to go in one folder and you select the folder not the individual images. Again AFAIK you will not see individual files but once the folder is selected the converter will find all the raw files in that folder and make the conversion to DNG.

A suggestion, make a folder and drag some of your mos files into it as copies. Open DNG converter and point to the folder (set options as required) then click on the extract button - with luck you should get your conversion
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2013, 04:47 PM

Tony, I made a folder on my desktop and put the MOS file in it. I selected the folder in 'Select Folder' in the Adobe Digital Negative Converter. I then select 'Convert' and get a message that 'The source folder does not contain any supported raw files'.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Patron

Don’t want to waste your time as I have no real first hand experience of the Leaf .mos files although I have played with a couple in the past.

The link to the Adobe DNG converter was for version 8.2 and for the Mac (assume it would not work if you are a PC user!).

AFAIK the converter is updated around the same time as the ACR version and the supported cameras should be the same as shown on the Camera Raw page in that link.

Camera Raw page shows support for Leaf Aptus 75 and Aptus 75s. So in theory you should be ok but there remains the possibility that the converter cannot do anything with any compression that may have been applied to the file – I just do not know!

Have you tried putting other raw files into a folder (perhaps including a few mos as well) and seeing if all is set up and working as it should with the Adobe app – just in case?

EDIT: A search reveals that Camera Raw doesn't support compressed MOS files from Leaf or Mamiya cameras although it is fine with uncompressed so you will need to convert to this format. Not sure why you are getting the message about cannot use Leaf as it is from an unidentified developer but if this was on a PC it would be related to the account control which would need administrator privelleges - something similar on a Mac maybe?

Last edited by Tony W; 12-29-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2013, 06:25 PM

Thanks for your help Tony. The version I tested the MOS files with was the latest version 8.3 for mac (as I am on a mac). I tried several different MOS files but they were all from the same photog so I suspect they all were processed with the same compression. All the rest of the raw files that I have are camera raw files so I don't have any other files to test the converter on.

From the google search that I did, it sounds like you are right about compression being the problem.

Last edited by Caravaggio; 12-29-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2013, 09:17 PM

maybe you can upload the file on some filesharing service like mediafire, I install capture one and I convert it for you
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching