RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Sharpening

Old 01-17-2014, 07:11 AM
Patron

Re: Sharpening

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
...Do I really need to write this, as I already wrote a very helpful answer as to what a better equivalent to sharpening in RAW processor (which you can also do)?
Which is it, a better sharpening to or an equivalent to ACR or other raw processor in your opinion? If you believe that how so, i.e explain your reasoning and methodology at arriving at such a conclusion?

I really do think that you should study the book and articles mentioned in this thread to understand the principles and purposes behind sharpening in ACR and the methods.

Quote:
So please do kill me for I have given a step by step direction.
You already seem to be quite capable of self harm by shooting yourself in the foot several times in this thread, therefore no further action by others required
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Image>Adjustments>Brightness-Contrast>Select Use Legacy, Set contrast to -50%
NOW THE HIGH PASS
I have a question for a long time, but i don't understand why we need -50 Legacy when we sharppen or IHP?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2014, 07:58 PM

You can use things to achieve the same thing. What legacy does is make the image flat in a linear way(pulling white point down and black point up in curves). You can even reduce the contrast in the high pass after you've applied it.

What is it then? Well, I don't know the exact math mostly because i never cared to ask as I never needed to know and I do guess it employs both the frequency and radius in it's calculations, but now I am interested, so if someone of gurus here does please reply, but it is mostly with the fact that it is way stronger of an effect than the opposite of gaussian blur is. It is giving the effect so strong it often ends up clipping the whites, and making things look "crispy". And, no it can't be "fixed" by reducing the opacity of the layer, because it's not the midtone that's affected, so this is why we apply contrast reduction, keeping the midtones where they were, and linearly reducing the high and low point of the image. If we used a non linear adjustment for this, we'd end up with shifted contrast, instead of reduced evenly above and bellow 128. 50% because it matches the opposite of gaussian best, and it will never match it completely, as you're averaging nearby pixels.

Last edited by skoobey; 01-18-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2014, 06:28 AM

Wish one of the seniors from above would actually contribute to this one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2014, 11:20 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtechniques View Post
I have a question for a long time, but i don't understand why we need -50 Legacy when we sharppen or IHP?
I believe the reason for using Legacy is due to the changes made to the Brightness and Contrast control in later versions of PS.

The original Brightness and Contrast found in versions prior to CS3? were seen to be pretty poor by many and virtually guaranteed to destroy your image if used without care. It did make images either brighter or darker but applied the effect equally over the image therefore the chance of forcing the lighter or darker points of your image to clipping was quite high. With the improved control in later versions of PS Brightness acted more like the midtone slider in levels without the tendency to clip highlights and shadows and therefore much improved.

So the old style settings (Legacy) could be viewed as linear adjustments which is more suited to this application than using the current version.

The -50 contrast therefore flattens the image in a more linear manner i.e. lowering the highlights and raising the shadows while still mainting the midtones where needed and maybe easier to apply than playing with just curves alone. I think that it should be possible to get a similar effect by using the Blend If sliders to roll off the effect in the shadows and highlights and thereby limit the effect to the desired tonal areas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2014, 11:36 AM

Legacy for B&C applied a linear manipulation over the entire image (everything moved in the direction you applied the slider in a linear move of the data). Useful in some cases (editing masks or alpha channels, not useful for working on most actual images. The new behavior is non linear. Not all tone were affected the same degree. Other than that, I have idea or comment on using this control for sharpening, would not be using it.

There are huge numbers of ways to sharpen images. Keep in mind that your brain can play a trick on you in sharpening images visually. As you move the controls to a higher level of sharpening, then back off, it looks 'softer' and the inclination is to over sharpen. And sharpening visually for anything but output to the display is a big crap shoot. You can't treat output sharpening of a halftone dot (and the LPI plays a role) the same as an inkjet of contone output device. YMMV. The display, even newer Retina like displays are low resolution output devices compared to most print media, what looks butt ugly on-screen might look wonderful on the printed piece.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2014, 12:26 PM

So basically, you guys wrote the same thing I did.

I want to know how does high pass work differently then what I get by doing it manually? It is obviously a two or more step filter ,and i'd like to know what are the steps it uses.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching