RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Attention to detail

Old 01-17-2014, 02:27 PM

Re: Attention to detail

Ha! It would have taken me 2 hours to make the masks. Upside is I would have charged more!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Great, keep it up. This is why photographers and designers think we can somehow finish 30 images a day. We're just machines, right? Who don't eat lunch, get up and stretch, you know…….
Ugh. That's not what I meant. You could use a youtube downloader, load the resulting flv or whatever into an application that allows you to slow playback. Look at the factor used. Make note of any work skipped. I don't think I could have accomplished that in two hours, but I didn't go through the video in depth to see how many paths were cut or how much adjustment. You're also not examining a high resolution finished image. There might be little halos or something. Anyway I'll leave it at that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2014, 10:44 AM

This is about 40-60 hours of work. Whoever said 2 hours is delusional.

Great work, and a good post Benny. If anyone ever asks "Why should I learn the path tool" I'll show them this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
This is about 40-60 hours of work. Whoever said 2 hours is delusional.
If you pause on some of the up close stuff, you'll see the work is fairly loose. The person who claimed two hours was the person who posted the video. Look at comments. I merely pointed out what parts were shown in the video and the appropriate time scaling for such a thing. You can see a lot of the edges are still quite rough if you look closely.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
If you pause on some of the up close stuff, you'll see the work is fairly loose. The person who claimed two hours was the person who posted the video. Look at comments. I merely pointed out what parts were shown in the video and the appropriate time scaling for such a thing. You can see a lot of the edges are still quite rough if you look closely.
Just drawing the paths would take a while. all the selections, all the drawn highlights/shadows.....

If you think that's the appropriate time scaling for such a thing, I would like to hire you for some product retouch. It would take me 2 weeks to do all of it, but you can do it in a day
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2014, 03:14 AM

C'mon guys. Regardless of the paths, it's close to impossible to even out the brushed metal bracelet that fast.

I mean I consider the possibility the guy might be a Duracell bunny if he insists of the two hours time...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
Just drawing the paths would take a while. all the selections, all the drawn highlights/shadows.....

If you think that's the appropriate time scaling for such a thing, I would like to hire you for some product retouch. It would take me 2 weeks to do all of it, but you can do it in a day
I pointed out that it wouldn't hold up under close inspection, which is ironic given that the thread is called attention to detail. As for speed, I only looked at the actions and speed of cursor movement. You mention it would take you two weeks, but I would argue that after 2 weeks your results would be different from what you see at the end of the video.

edit: I forgot to mention, the person who uploaded the video was the one who claimed that time. If you think someone is trolling you, look at them. My suspicion is that it's edited down quite a bit and very rough on the details (like the shadows may look like mush), aside from being preconceived. For example in your 2 week figure, you probably have some communication with a client over that time period.

edit: edit: have you ever seen how fast they crank out variations on movie poster designs? It's another situation where they rely on people being unable to see the full detail at low resolution prior to producing the final artwork.

Last edited by klev; 01-24-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2014, 08:00 AM

2 hrs is absurd....it is naive to think this was done within a day even.
I sit next to some of the best still life retouchers in the industry ( I do fashion but share space with the still life dept) and even a v1 would take about week. Plus the dead give away is how long even sped up the patching takes this individual...one of the gentleman in still life (+25yrs in the industry) he can actually path faster than this sped up video......it is honestly breath taking. But you have to look, thinking, proof, review, etc... You can not get to a serious final with qc within 2hrs with any photograph. I mean I am barely done looking and gauging a photograph in 2hrs time....I might just be finishing marking the image up for a junior...this type of bragging bs messes mid to low level clients bidding because they expect what can not be achieved....this guy is shooting himself in the foot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2014, 11:07 AM

Does anybody know what method did he use to fill in that small lower rear part with some kind of gradient? Is it a fill layer and on what kind? It starts at 2.18 and finishes at 2.22 of the video time.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching