RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Which monitor I should trust?

Old 01-24-2014, 09:23 AM

Re: Which monitor I should trust?

You should trust a calibrated display but not all displays are correctly calibrated! All those possible settings for backlight intensity, white point, they play a huge role. Which one is correct? The one that matches the print next to the display. And the same settings that produce that match with your Dell, will likely not produce a match on my SpectraView using vastly different software and instrument. Even the same software product driven with two different instruments but set to the same calibration will likely produce different results.

This should clear up what you need to do to ensure YOUR display is properly calibrated:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...too_dark.shtml

And if you want other's in your group to see what you see, they too need to use the same reference system ideally: same display, puck, settings, control over environmental conditions near the display and as important, print viewing conditions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workharder View Post
Hi Folks,
But the bizarre thing, it doesn't happen with people work that I grab from webs, it looks different but still look nice when I open in Dell or any monitor.
I had this issue years back, what you see on the web, was saved under Photoshop using "Save for Web" command under the File menu. Save for web, not only compress removes extra info, it saves it "really" for web viewing, meaning, sRGB. Try it.

Don't even attempt to do it yourself by converting to or assigning sRGB, let Save For Web deal with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2014, 05:05 PM

Assigning sRGB would indeed be a bad idea if the data isn't in sRGB. But converting should provide the same functionality, as far as color is concerned as Save for Web. And if the web browser isn't color managed, sRGB isn't a guarantee the color will appear correctly, on your system. Impossible to know what the image will look like on other's systems without going there and actually looking at the display.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching