RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Cgi retouching courses or schools

Old 01-26-2014, 06:01 PM

Re: Cgi retouching courses or schools

Well... yes. I freelance for a couple of places. I know how to, but I didn't deal with actual 3D models of cars(I think it's a way for companies to protect themselves form espionage, or so they think), I get them as flat files.

Let's put it this way, one image is almost always consisted of multiple renders that are actually multiple passes of each. OK? I hate it when it's required for me to do an exact phrase.

I've got no idea why do they send me wheels as separate files (tires are always on the rims)... they just always do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2014, 03:17 PM

Ahahahahhaahah...I totally agree.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2014, 04:35 PM

FWIW I looked for such courses a few years back and ended up doing a 3 day taster of Studiomax. The 'problem' with such courses is they tend to be run by people who, whilst knowing how to use the software, don't actually work in commercial production. There were 4 of us in my class and as the 3 others were architects you can imagine the general thrust of the discussions! That said, it was useful. I got better value from finding a local 3d artist and employing him by the hour to run through the basics of Modo. That way I could ask specific questions and not get bogged down in arcane details. See who is around your area and give 'em a call.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2014, 05:30 PM

When I read Repairman's comments, I wonder if I'm too theoretical about everything. I think it's complicated to learn due to the number of things involved when it comes the basics of modeling, uvs, mapped textures, shading, lighting systems, and ways of resolving the final output prior to whatever retouch work. To get to a somewhat low generalist level, each one takes an enormous time commitment. I don't think the software packages are even the most important thing. It's easier to obtain a clear definition of terms that will likely pop up across multiple software packages, learn some of the basics of shading and CG lighting systems, either something like 3delight if you have some programming background or a full raytracer. Being comfortable with dependency graphs and understanding passes or common shader features is much more meaningful to me early on. I think the OP is still focused predominantly on the post aspect though, which is why I said I don't think he'll find a school that teaches specifically how to retouch still CG frames in photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2014, 04:45 AM

I think all depends on the level of experience Klev. I use Photoshop like 15 years and I have a quite good background in Maya so the approach to fixing some techniques or just way of working to thinking works for me. I agree with Repairman and I use my self to teach people what I know in my field and quick and effective courses like that are very useful.

Agree also with Klev, there is not course that is focused on Cgi retouching, it all come with experience in agencies.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isedo View Post
Agree also with Klev, there is not course that is focused on Cgi retouching, it all come with experience in agencies.
I think it's also in the nature of how that work started out. Some of these shops probably did internal R&D to see what they could do with CAD and test looks. Then obviously the retouching work was a matter of fixing details that weren't conveyed well by the medium. Maya is quite powerful. I've been familiar with it since it was Maya complete, much more familiar today than I was then though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2014, 02:13 PM

So, the simple answer is, you have to be lucky. Lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, and have someone have enough faith in you to invest the time and training costs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2014, 02:48 PM

Well, Napoleon said he'd rather have lucky generals than smart ones! I do think you can help your luck by making things happen though. The hardest step is always the first one and after that things tend to fall in to place. Jeez, I sound like I write scripts for The Waltons.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2014, 08:21 PM

What really hurts me is that It's happening right next to me, and it's just going so slowly and badly. Hard to watch. So close, and yet so far…...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
I've got no idea why do they send me wheels as separate files (tires are always on the rims)... they just always do.
Renders are always done in separate passes because it gives the compositor more options, weather it's just separating shadows from reelections, or different parts of an object. I've done some renders that have twenty separate passes - this is partly due to the limitations of the software and party due to the demands to create the perfect final image. Having options to create the final image is always a good thing.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching