RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Painterly Quality

Old 01-29-2014, 09:36 AM

Painterly Quality

I am absolutely in love with the way they did the skin in this photo. Now, most people would think "that is just way too over re-touched", but that is not the case. What Pascal and his crew did was they created a painterly effect.

I love it! Does anyone know how to acheive this effect while still keeping the quality of the bodys structure and the proper shadows/highlights??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 118_2004b_0.jpg (99.8 KB, 173 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2014, 10:30 AM

Re: Painterly Quality

Easy to do but you need patience. Use the smudge tool and make 'paint' strokes that follow the natural curves of the subject. The bolder the strokes the less figurative the result. A nice by-product of the technique is you can seamlessly edit detail as you go. This style was really popular 20 years ago!
Also, try tracing the outline of the subject with mask using a fine pencil or crayon texture brush, When you have finished the 'painting' use the mask to selectively add some pencil line strokes over the top. Partial use of both painting and linework can work really well.

Last edited by Repairman; 01-29-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2014, 11:04 AM

Yes as just as Repairman explained. I remember reading about this project in this article from a few years ago - http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...urrentPage=all

A quote from it, "In the spring of 2004, the Prada campaign, shot by Steven Meisel, had a retro, vacationy look—tie-dyed cardigans, hairbands, sailboat prints. Using a Photoshop tool called a smudge brush, Dangin applied extra color to every pixel, giving the pictures—hard and flat, at the outset—a dreamy, impressionistic texture, as if they had been wrought in oil and chalk."
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2014, 02:03 PM

Thank you guys so much!

Oh, how I love Pascal Dangin and his godly abilities.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2014, 02:38 PM

I wouldn't laud godly upon him, put in 80 hours a week and good photography and anyone creative will come up with interesting work and ideas
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2014, 03:05 PM

The slimming/liquifying on these models is of kindergarten quality
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2014, 03:17 PM

John Currin had a big show in New York in 2004, I wouldn't be suprised if he was an influence on the work, quite a big one actually. He sprang to mind when I saw the op's attachment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arson View Post
The slimming/liquifying on these models is of kindergarten quality
That was the first thing I noticed too. The anatomical rendering of the girl on the left is a total disaster. But, anyway, the OP is interested in the 'painterly' technique.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2014, 03:21 PM

This digital painting style was first used mainstream on the Aha video, Take on Me, in about '86 I think, using Quantel video Paintbox. I used the same techniques myself over the years on print work using the Graphic Paintbox. It is very easy to do Dillon and you can experiment with different brush shapes to stamp your own style on an image. That said, these days, there is probably an iPhone app that'll do it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMac View Post
That was the first thing I noticed too. The anatomical rendering of the girl on the left is a total disaster. But, anyway, the OP is interested in the 'painterly' technique.
Well yes, which presents the influence of Currin all the clearer. Not just in 'painterly' texture but also in his tendency to distort the figure.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching