RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Professional Opinion

Old 02-01-2014, 01:01 AM

Professional Opinion

Please give me your professional opinion on how you think I did on this edit...

Please and thanks!

http://i60.tinypic.com/2005kx3.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2014, 01:05 AM

Re: Professional Opinion

Original: http://3wymkl3lkak82e1u8f2n3nqvtoy.w...PM-720x480.png
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2014, 06:33 AM

+
Good colors
Good saturation
-
Plastic skin look
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2014, 07:08 AM

The original image is much smaller comparatively, so haven't been able to view a fair before-and-after. But the facial features appear pretty much smoothened out in the original image, and then much more in the retouched version.

Did you replace the eyes???

~ Sarah
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2014, 03:06 PM

The original is already heavily retouched. It's better for you to start from scratch, find some raw files.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2014, 09:17 PM

If you're just wanting practice with pro retouching you did great job. The eyes are really cool and took great skill to have that detail in the iris. Same with the skin.

It's just the way you edited it would't make it useful for that person as a portfolio piece because of the eyes. It wouldn't work as a add for those purses in the background because of the skin.

So great job. If you tell me the purpose of the edit I'd be happy to share more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2014, 09:53 PM

I think this comes back to establishing what you hope to accomplish. Look at the bow tie. I can see definite clipping in the final version which is not present in the original. You lost detail due to poor choice of adjustments. I see where you were trying to make the eyes pop, but it doesn't work with the overall image. The brightened highlights in the face also feel really out of place, and the various skintones aren't flattering. Can you see how it goes sort of desaturated and blue in the highlights, orange around the temple, and bluish magenta around the chin? The lips also aren't the most flattering color.

When you look at an image, there should be some evaluation of what you want it to convey. The original doesn't match my personal tastes, and I'm not sure it was completely untouched prior to your working on it. When I look at it though, I consider how the individual clutches should be represented in terms of color and lighting relative to what I see. I consider what constitutes the primary subject matter of the image. I then consider what would improve upon the message and what is distracting. You need to spend time thinking about these things rather than diving straight in. I don't mean that everything should be one palette, but it needs some kind of synergy, and you should try to be light handed with your adjustments to avoid that really fake feeling. Also do not change things that don't really require it. Right now printing this thing would be a mess when it comes to the tie and a couple other areas due to the amount of detail lost. My screen is probably more forgiving, and I can see it on here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2014, 03:18 AM

Over retouching can ruin the natural look of any picture, so you have to aware of this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2014, 06:03 PM

My guess, you've gone too far with near-nose skin, it seems like lack of detail or a bit overexposed. I also see that you have done eye replacement, what is not bad, but you forgot to correct the iris reflections. They appear very unreal, because these are physically impossible.

There are strong tonal differences between the face and the hand.

Anyway, you did not a bad job. In my particular opinion the skin are too much clean for a man portrait.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0c View Post
. . . but you forgot to correct the iris reflections. They appear very unreal, because these are physically impossible.
Yes, it looks as if you copied one iris, flipped it, and used it for the other eye. Be mindful that mirroring is very noticeable because it does not look natural.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching