RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Is learning how to draw necessary?

Old 02-13-2014, 04:06 PM

Re: Is learning how to draw necessary?

Thanks a lot guys, everything you have said is really helpful. Klev and Repairman, I especially agree with what you said about being able to notice specific lines. So many times I have looked at one of my pictures and realized that something was off, yet felt uncapable of locating exactly what it was because I am not trained in perspective, lighting etc.

It's just that most kids my age who decide to get into professional retouching like me seem to be the kind of people who were born holding a sketchbook and learned how to use a tablet along with their first steps. But still, retouching really makes me happy like nothing else and it's the only job I really want, so I guess I have no choice but give it my best shot and try to learn everything I can from my art classes
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2014, 05:08 PM

You're going to be working with a tablet, so it's probably best to get into that straight away. Experiment with making flowing, confident marks, and try to get your arm moving - not just your fingers. There is virtually no friction between the stylus and the tablet surface, so you may find that you can gain better control by adjusting the pressure of the heel of your hand on the tablet surface to create the right amount of drag.

Last edited by AKMac; 02-13-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2014, 10:25 PM

Well, its not very necessary, but it will always be a plus point for you when you'll have to sculpt a model's figure, like taking in the wider waist and broad shoulders while still maintaining the body proportion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2014, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isolde View Post
Thanks a lot guys, everything you have said is really helpful. Klev and Repairman, I especially agree with what you said about being able to notice specific lines. So many times I have looked at one of my pictures and realized that something was off, yet felt uncapable of locating exactly what it was because I am not trained in perspective, lighting etc.

It's just that most kids my age who decide to get into professional retouching like me seem to be the kind of people who were born holding a sketchbook and learned how to use a tablet along with their first steps. But still, retouching really makes me happy like nothing else and it's the only job I really want, so I guess I have no choice but give it my best shot and try to learn everything I can from my art classes
One makes the other easier. I agree with AKMac that you should go for the tablet and become comfortable with it. The things I suggest are to make some of the more difficult stuff more approachable. They aren't necessarily about drawing. They're just basic art skills. Even if you wanted to be a photographer, I think you would see some benefit from a strong understanding of perspective rather than one that only extends as far as to be able to tell when something is obviously wrong. The other thing is that fundamental art skills do make significantly easier to approach other subjects. If you are set on doing this for a career, I suggest eventually developing some basic 3d modeling skills as well and an understanding of render passes. They may be seen as a plus in some of the better shops, depending on your market.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
That is a key point. It is liberating to approach retouching problems in terms of what you can achieve by your own hand.
It is. I guess I tend to think this way for a couple reasons. One is that some of the most talented people I've met had backgrounds in fine art rather than photography. The other is that at one point I was frequently unsure what made an image feel dull or how to get perspective right on comped elements. This is also someone who is not yet working, so I'm prone to suggest anything that is more likely than not to improve their chances of success. Doh meant to edit that onto the first post.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2014, 02:15 AM

This thread prompted me to consider how often I use free flowing brush strokes. Working mainly on product and montage retouching it's surprising how often I use a few brush flicks to create hilites, shadows and volume within an image. Competency with a brush enables spontaneous (but not accidental) results that smooth the whole process. Sure, I can still make a wrong stroke but it's remedied in seconds.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2014, 02:23 AM

A phrase that has stuck in my mind is "Drawing is understanding". I don't know who said it. But I would certainly agree that drawing is a visual 'language', and that to draw from observation is to analyse and articulate qualities of line, tone etc that are inexpressible in words. Drawing is an active engagement of the visual department of the brain which goes far further than passive analysis, and that's just one of the reasons it's so important. IMHO
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2014, 02:49 PM

You have thoroughly convinced me that in order to do this as a profession, some illustration skills are necessary, because if you know a visual code, you can overcome common issues with pictures at work. I'll take it one step at a time. First art classes, then Photoshop tutorials, and the 3d modeling skills you suggested will have to wait quite a bit, but I'll get there
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2014, 05:14 AM

I'll be honest. An understanding of light, and shapes and relationships between shapes are super important. I can't draw to save my life. I can use a wacom tablet quite well though.

I think drawing masks or brush strokes are quite different than being able to come up with stuff from scratch. Do you need to know how to draw? I'd say no. Can it hurt? Obviously not.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2014, 06:56 AM

On the contrary, retouching taught me how to paint.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching