RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Is learning how to draw necessary?

Old 02-17-2014, 07:29 PM

Re: Is learning how to draw necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
I think drawing masks or brush strokes are quite different than being able to come up with stuff from scratch. Do you need to know how to draw? I'd say no. Can it hurt? Obviously not.
I actually learned the two in reverse, but dealing with a blank canvas and really analyzing perspective helped make comps a lot easier, especially if the elements included any kind of stock imagery. I don't think it's so much about drawing specifically. I was personally suggesting it for foundational art skills. Doing some basic lines will help when it comes to learning to use a tablet really really well. If you're doing it from scratch, you'll see any problems immediately rather than much later. It also helps you learn to look at reference material objectively when you are trying to paint it from scratch. Anyway considering your work, you could probably pick it up easily if you wanted to. Where you're at now, it's most likely unimportant. For someone starting out, I would say strong foundation skills help with the learning curve, especially for people without an amazing innate instinct for the work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2014, 12:20 PM

I agree with 1RP and Klev, that becoming better at drawing/painting can happen in the process of becoming a better retoucher, and doesn't need to be seen as a separate thing. When I say 'drawing' I mean hand-eye skill rather than creative expression.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
I'll be honest. An understanding of light, and shapes and relationships between shapes are super important.
I agree. Being able to draw or paint from scratch is helpful, but without an understanding of shape any drawing will appear flawed. For retouching, shape and shadow are extremely important. Combine that with composition and the entire image can take on a completely different appearance than originally intended.

All the above being said, having a background in photography is almost more important than drawing. A good photographer can look at an image and immediately see whats wrong with it and what's good about it. This is the necessary first step for any good retoucher; analysis that is accurate can do more to help you than your ability to draw from scratch.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMac View Post
I agree with 1RP and Klev, that becoming better at drawing/painting can happen in the process of becoming a better retoucher, and doesn't need to be seen as a separate thing. When I say 'drawing' I mean hand-eye skill rather than creative expression.
I mean the same thing much of the time. People get a little too hung up on words. Illustrating volume can be seen as a part of drawing, but I think it's also possible to get hung up on line drawings or overly discrete values. A lot of questions that are posted on here focus too much on "burn dodge" or various names assigned to elementary constructs rather than the creative side. It's important to be able to consider building blocks for a significant adjustment. It can be more than something like applying a curve. If you wanted to add snow to a roof, where would you start? How would you approximate the appropriate shadows? How would you match highlights that fell on the original surface? There has to be some eventual comfort level in dealing with things that do not initially match or deconstructing things visually based on what was most likely possible in the original shot. I personally found it easier to spot small problems when I didn't have a lot on the page. There are other things. I can't remember if I mentioned having drawn out vanishing points for a basic idea of how elements with non-uniform perspective might work together. They also help when it comes to scaling the aforementioned elements. It doesn't make it easy. It's just before starting that I was always significantly off.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2014, 09:30 PM

I am not a retouching pro by any means but I will say that I think that drawing is important. Not for the simple aspect of knowing how to draw but because people that can draw well tend to have a good perception of anatomy, perspective and how light falls which is the more important aspect. For example, knowing how light hits the face and where shadows are created vs which areas would be highlighted based upon the location of the light source can prove an invaluable talent in areas such as beauty retouching. Also, for example, how hair would fall over a shoulder in the event that you have to do any hair retouching, etc. I have a friend that was almost hired into one of the (if not THE) biggest retouchers in NYC and the first thing they told her was...if she was hired, the first "x" number of months would be spent attending a lighting an anatomy school where she was going to learn exactly that. I was a bit in awe as to how much training they were about to invest in a new hire and the extent they go through in terms of education. It was both an eye opener and fascinating to hear. But yeah....I think for its for aspects such as these that many people put so much emphasis on "drawing".
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching