RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

D&B Curves vs. Soft Light Layer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 03-01-2014, 01:27 AM
klev klev is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,109
Re: D&B Curves vs. Soft Light Layer

I hate both. I typically use channel mixer set to some combination that I like or just a background copy. They're two of the easiest to control, although I've also used curves. On anything with a mask I don't set the brush mode to normal. I prefer something more like linear dodge with a very dark color and high opacity. It has a much nicer buildup. I keep the boxes set to a really dark swatch and a second that's a bit brighter for a stronger effect. More are stored in the swatch palette. The history brush is used if I need to back off on something. That typically works. If I need something a bit more complex, I group layers like skoobey. It has to be something very specific though.
Reply With Quote top
  #12  
Old 03-01-2014, 03:46 AM
AKMac's Avatar
AKMac AKMac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London and Argyll, Scotland.
Posts: 309
Re: D&B Curves vs. Soft Light Layer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
I hate both. I typically use channel mixer set to some combination that I like or just a background copy. They're two of the easiest to control, although I've also used curves. On anything with a mask I don't set the brush mode to normal. I prefer something more like linear dodge with a very dark color and high opacity. It has a much nicer buildup. I keep the boxes set to a really dark swatch and a second that's a bit brighter for a stronger effect. More are stored in the swatch palette. The history brush is used if I need to back off on something. That typically works. If I need something a bit more complex, I group layers like skoobey. It has to be something very specific though.
Most of us prefer simple methods to get effective results.

Last edited by AKMac; 03-01-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Reply With Quote top
  #13  
Old 03-05-2014, 07:46 PM
klev klev is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,109
Re: D&B Curves vs. Soft Light Layer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMac View Post
Most of us prefer simple methods to get effective results.
Mine is simple, and it's very repeatable. I have typical starting layer settings macroed. They aren't difficult to adjust. I have swatches saved. I'm not making the workflow overly convoluted as you suggest. If you work at different places on different days, it's easy enough to bring along preference files and any action setup lists on a thumb drive if necessary. I don't bother because I remember them all. It only takes a minute or two to get set up.
Reply With Quote top
  #14  
Old 03-06-2014, 12:57 AM
AKMac's Avatar
AKMac AKMac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London and Argyll, Scotland.
Posts: 309
Re: D&B Curves vs. Soft Light Layer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
Mine is simple, and it's very repeatable. I have typical starting layer settings macroed. They aren't difficult to adjust. I have swatches saved. I'm not making the workflow overly convoluted as you suggest. If you work at different places on different days, it's easy enough to bring along preference files and any action setup lists on a thumb drive if necessary. I don't bother because I remember them all. It only takes a minute or two to get set up.
It sounded complicated and convoluted (to me, anyway). Can you explain your channel mixer technique - it went right over my head.
Reply With Quote top
  #15  
Old 03-06-2014, 01:21 AM
klev klev is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,109
Re: D&B Curves vs. Soft Light Layer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMac View Post
It sounded complicated and convoluted (to me, anyway). Can you explain your channel mixer technique - it went right over my head.
Raise channel contribution of each channel by the same amount, so say
R-->R +10% G-->+10% B-->B+10%. Offset slightly if you need a somewhat different hue. The brush set to linear dodge was just so to allow for a brush set to high or 100% opacity while being able to repeatedly adjust the density of the mask. The results are predictable and don't create a lot of extra layers. You'll find it blends well. I like both of those things. If you are using a brush set to linear dodge, it should be a dark shade. It can even be off black. It's convenient, because flow settings suck, and you won't have brush spacing issues this way.

I like things that are predictable. This is predictable. I don't use it for everything. It works quite well for smoothing things out, and it's not very cpu intensive.
Reply With Quote top
  #16  
Old 03-06-2014, 03:05 PM
AKMac's Avatar
AKMac AKMac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London and Argyll, Scotland.
Posts: 309
Re: D&B Curves vs. Soft Light Layer

Sorry, I'm just not getting this Channel Mixer technique. It seems needlessly laborious to have to make numerical entries into each channel in the Channel Mixer. Surely Curves is far quicker.
Reply With Quote top
  #17  
Old 03-06-2014, 05:45 PM
klev klev is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,109
Re: D&B Curves vs. Soft Light Layer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMac View Post
Sorry, I'm just not getting this Channel Mixer technique. It seems needlessly laborious to have to make numerical entries into each channel in the Channel Mixer. Surely Curves is far quicker.
I mentioned that I macro it to a couple default setups. Setting up curves without macros is probably quicker, although when it comes to smoothing things like skin I typically set it up with color correction. For that I average a couple samples between typical darker or patchier areas that I dislike against something closer to what I am trying to match. It is often an adjustment of all 3 channels anyway. That is followed by a couple broad brush swipes to ensure the color balance is to my liking. If it blends as expected I go with that. Either way takes a minute to set up rather than seconds, but the overall time spent with that layer is less for me. Over time I have figured out things that are predictable. Typical curves that involve just pulling a midtone point up or down a bit were always problematic for me. I can't see the mask while working. Some deeper points might end up completely white in the alpha while others need something much more drastic. The number of layers needed to deal with this grows more quickly, and I find myself having to make too many brush strokes on certain areas. If photoshop plugins were a little more transparent relative to the overall program, I would write one to handle this in a more efficient manner. Unfortunately that is not the case. I also avoid their scripting system, because I abhor javascript.

What I mean is that if plugins integrated better as standard tools, I would make one to map some of my preferred adjustments to a set of sliders. It would just be a matter of outputs that don't perform in too sluggish of a manner with an additional gui element. It's not actually supported the way I would want to do that.
Reply With Quote top
  #18  
Old 03-16-2014, 08:24 AM
capice capice is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 178
Re: D&B Curves vs. Soft Light Layer

Thanks for sharing Klev...I am going to give it a try..
Reply With Quote top
  #19  
Old 03-18-2014, 09:16 PM
klev klev is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,109
Re: D&B Curves vs. Soft Light Layer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capice View Post
Thanks for sharing Klev...I am going to give it a try..
No problem. I always have have specific desired behavior in mind when I do something. If you're trying to apply it to whatever and have trouble, show me layers and I'll try to help. My concerns are typically not creating flat spots over areas that aren't regional yet have more than a few pixels and minimizing color/saturation shift problems. I always have very specific goals in mind and usually consider them in terms of what it takes to map one subset of color values to another subset in a manner that is predictable and repeatable for me.

AKMac points out that it comes off a little convoluted, but if Adobe's API wasn't so restrictive, I would write a tool to make some of my own layer structures more intuitive. It's just that it's not easy and may not be possible to implement something that draws that windows and inserts menu items in a transparent manner. On the mac adobe relies on the cocoa framework for a number of those gui items, but they don't really pass on public API functions as accessors. There's that and I truly abhor javascript. Python, objective C, C++, etc would be fine, just not javascript, even language that it is.

Last edited by klev; 03-18-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Reply With Quote top
  #20  
Old 03-19-2014, 11:09 PM
adtechniques adtechniques is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 105
Re: D&B Curves vs. Soft Light Layer

Thanks for sharing Klev...but how Channel mixer sould setting? Did you change Blend mode of Channel mixer layer (Screen or Muiltiply ???)
I make a test with brush setting: Nomal and Linear Dodge and paint in black mask but don't see different.
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advanced Curves Layer photo2216 Photo Retouching 12 02-12-2011 08:01 PM
Merge levels with 50% grey layer in soft light Isedo Photo Retouching 8 07-14-2010 09:04 AM
Several Photoshop Layer Tips DJ Dubovsky Photo Compositing 6 12-05-2006 03:35 PM
Tutorial 06: Pencil sketch DannyRaphael Photo-Art 101 19 04-10-2004 01:06 PM
yellow cast mpskin Image Help 4 01-20-2003 09:16 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved