Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Matching colors after dodge and burn

Old 03-04-2014, 04:39 PM
Re: Matching colors after dodge and burn

As mentioned it's good practice to clip hue/sat layers to your curves (covered here under Combating Colour Shifts), but apart from catching any further problems with masked curves it might be worth making a gradient map of the skin tones from a good area, setting it to colour blend mode and using that to paint over any inconsistencies, that should solve any colour issues.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2014, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by JDClosser View Post
..takes some color theory and practice to nail that technique, or if your file structure permits for serious issues you can take the problem area onto another area with the original image....blur it until there is only color data and set to color while adjusting the opacity for the desired result.....same way you would correct color moire issues. There are too many techniques to list but these are what I find the fastest and easiest in my daily workflow.
That's kind of why I suggest everyone do a little photoshop painting when they're really new. It allows you to pick out any color juxtaposition you want. Over time that would hopefully impart some level of practical recognition. Combined with good reference, it allows for some understanding of what is being visually conveyed to the viewer. Just to add this, a little noise often helps with moire. It also sometimes makes patchy color easier to spot if left temporarily on a layer set to soft light or overlay. You just have to be careful with it, as well as not overdo it. Things are sometimes hard to spot if the image feels a little flat, but what I just mentioned works as a visual trick.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2014, 08:10 AM

Thank you everyone for your responses. Were very useful.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching