RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Cutout bicycle

Old 03-13-2014, 09:17 AM

Re: Cutout bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
I'm cool with that. Garbage in, garbage out.
I guess I just don't follow your general take on the industry (and don't get me wrong, I enjoy your posts and presence immensely).

The vast majority of product-on-white catalog work is pathed for silo (at least in my experience), right? You refuse to do such work. Yet you decry such work being sent overseas.

I'm just curious, what cushie corner of the industry do you get to service?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2014, 02:17 PM

Beauty and products for a beauty product and small appliance manufacturer, at the moment.

I was just saying that, in certain cases, let the Indians and Chinese have the crap work. It's garbage because it's poorly designed in the first place if someone wants a bicycle, of all things, siloed off one background on to another. It's not worth my bother, because I recognized that the third world was doing that work almost a decade ago, and aimed for the high end, instead (well, not quite there right now, but, you can always strive).

It's just dumb design. Much better to walk away from it. You learn nothing from the ordeal, except how to deal with dumb design. Maybe if it paid really well, but, that is very unlikely.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2014, 06:40 PM

I hear ya Benny. I certainly don't want to be a sweatshop path-er either. But that's why I have no qualms sending it out.

I guess I misinterpreted your feelings about overseas providers. Seems I had you confused with the other Benny Profane:

Quote:
Well well. How about that. This is a first. An Indian complaining about the race to the bottom that Indians and other Asians are responsible for starting. How ironic. And, you expect sympathy from the westerners on this forum who have seen their potential hourly income reduced by the existence of these sweatshops all around the world? Please. Go away.

I mean if you don't want the work anyway, no need to be so bitter if others less fortunate do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2014, 08:30 PM

Are you stalking me?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2014, 10:17 PM

To the OP. Bracket your exposures (with the strobes, not with the camera - you can't bracket strobes with shutter speed and bracketing with aperture will mean you can't composite afterwords). Use the frame from the best exposure for the frame and drop in the wheels from the best exposure for them. Yes, you'll still have to extract but it will be a lot easier than from a higher exposure that has flare on the spokes.

At least, that's the way I'd do it. Actually, I wouldn't - I'd place black reflectors to cut the light on the spokes and light the background correctly and the bike correctly. But that really takes a largeish studio with plenty of depth so you don't have the exposure for the background affecting the exposure for the bike and vice versa. Balance them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Are you stalking me?
LOL, a little bit. Just having fun wid ya.

Peace mate.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2014, 02:33 PM

If we were talking about non-reflective objects, or things with ill defined edges, (Christmas trees, stuffed animals) etc, you could get away with blowing out the background and masking. But a bike is tubular and glossy, meaning it's sure to reflect the blown out background, leaving you with blown out edges.

Franks suggestion is good. Or taking it one step further: take one shot for your bike, then turn off the strobes on the bike and turn them up on the background and shoot that. This latter shot, of a bright background with the dark silo of the bike becomes the basis for your mask.

But in the end, the lines of a bike are so clean, precise and pure, I think they scream for a path.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
But in the end, the lines of a bike are so clean, precise and pure, I think they scream for a path.
Exactly!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giselhilton View Post
Don't shoot in a white background, use a green background do you can easily erase that color in photoshop or any green screen software, but in photoshop use the green screen plugin, it's free!
I'm sorry but you have no idea what you're talking about. Green casts color on the subject, not to mention green reflections on chrome.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giselhilton View Post
Don't shoot in a white background, use a green background do you can easily erase that color in photoshop or any green screen software, but in photoshop use the green screen plugin, it's free!
There is a reason most still photographers shoot on neutral backgrounds for cutout. If that technique worked even reasonably well for still shots, it would be much more common. Part of the issue is the output of strobes. Even with careful flagging, it won't be enough. There's a reason that this never got on for still photography, and you are just setting them up for further headaches.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching